National Alien invasive listing

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: National Alien invasive listing

Postby J_Bay » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:52 pm

I haven't had time to read the whole list but are Ball pythons still safe?
J_Bay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TJ&ACP » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:50 pm

Was the intended meeting held 06March and any further development?
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Not too much joy from the meeting. They did take minutes but would not commit to any decisions. We still have to give all our comments in writing but they did promise (for what its worth) to give us written feedback. I have been told this before by this very department although this time we have it recorded.

The permits that they are talking about for reptiles etc will be issued by the national department and not the local conservation bodies. This makes red lights flicker because some of those species will be prohibited in a certain province so which one do you have to abide by? Lets say you get a permit for a rattlesnake in Upington then should you also get a permit from the local conservation body. If you get dragged in front of a magistrate which law outranks the other?

We have asked and have been promised the actual studies done to scientifically prove that the spiders listed are potentially invasive. We will make our own research available.

There was confusion about 1b animals when it comes to the word "contained". Their idea was that all sliders etc would be humanely euthanased with no compensation and this they were informed was never going to work. These might require a permit instead.

I will be publishing the suggestions from all of us on a petition type website and then we will require signatures to give us the backing we need to convince them of our grievances.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:12 pm

I had another look at the list just for interest sake.

If, for instance, they document contains spelling errors on the naming of species, if you get caught with said species, could you use the spelling mistake in your favour?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:18 pm

Good news of sorts. I have just had it confirmed that all tarantulas have been taken off the list of alien invasive species until a proper scientific study is done to prove their invasive properties or lack therof. All new imports will however still require a permit. This is at national level and each province can still apply stricter legislation via their ordinances. For now it is thus legal to trade in red rumps, red knees etc that were under threat of restriction/banning. Thanks to all who wrote letters and motivated for the removal of these species from the Alien invasive lists.

Yeah the reptiles I could not save. The KZN and Mpumalanga people are going to suffer. Permits for Burmese, Carpets, Amethystines, Crotalus, Iguanas, Boa constrictors, Bitis rhinoceros and Bitis nasicornis. It just means you have to apply for a permit. At least they did not ban them. I am just waiting for the final confirmation. We fought like mad but not many comments were forwarded by people from KZN so they bulldozed the legislation through.

The lists should be signed off tomorrow and then we can see what was decided. It may take a few days though.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby TJ&ACP » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks to all this far, just a question, you mention Boa constrictors did I missed it from the original list (February 2014) or was this added.
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Yeah some species were added at the last minute and we had to try and fight this with no warning. Lets wait and see what the final listing is. Luckily by law they have to review it every year so we will get a chance to give input again at a later stage.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Savu » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:20 pm

These lists don't surprise me anymore,like they used to. I always wonder what the reason,scientifically or financially is ,in choosing the animals that a put on the list. Just looking at the boids. What makes Burmese,carpets,boa constrictors,any different from,lets say.retics,anacondas,rainbow boas? One can never get a straight answer so I presume its just going after the most popular ones to collect more revenue through permits. Its the only logical reason
Savu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tyronen » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:21 am

Hi, how would this effect people keeping carpet Pythons in Gauteng? Would we also need to just apply for a permit?
Tyronen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:07 am

Well the entire Morelia spilota group (all Carpets) is classed as category 2 which means that you will require permits to import, own, keep, breed, transport or sell.

The main question now is will all of these be covered by a single permit (with a once off cost) or will you have to have one permit for each with multiple payments.

I wonder how the above will influence sales at expos? It would be ideal if we could have the relevant authorities at the expos to issue the permits there and then.

Seems we are now slowly moving to the the Cape Nature system where permits are required for all exotics.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:10 pm

We are still waiting for the signed legislation which is supposed to have the whole implementation plan included. Lets just not jump to conclusions. I have no idea how this will be done and am also just waiting in limbo.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Savu » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Well,I can just say the continues effort and fight you (bushviper) have put in for many years,to put this wonderful hobby where it is today,is greatly appreciated!!
Savu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leon119109 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi All

I wanted to know. Where will I apply for such permit ?

I own some "Basiliscus Plumifrons" (Green Basilisk) for over 3 years now and see on
this blog that they where listed on Government gazette Vol 584 Pretoria 12 February
2014 No 37320 as shedule 2

I hate to get in to trouble with the law or loose my pets (they more like my kids)

Can any one point me in right direction

Thank you
Leon Neethling
leon.neethling.z3@gmail.com
leon119109
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:04 pm

Go look on invasives.org for more details.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby tobiasf » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:30 pm

http://www.invasives.org.za/ this looks like the correct one :)
1.1 Arizona Mountain Kingsnake
1.1 Durango Mountain Kingsnake
1.1 Gray Banded Kingsnake
1.1 Western Hognose snake
tobiasf
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements