NEW REGISTRATION NOTICE:
We constantly receive a surge of spam registrations. On purging these, we may have deleted your newly registered profile by accident.
If this happened please accept our apologies and re-register.
Also note that registration now requires admin approval.

If your registration is not confirmed within 24 hours, please SMS your username and email to +27 (0)82 686 5464

Taxonomy at its finest...

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Taxonomy at its finest...

Postby Primogen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:33 am

Not sure if this has been discussed here before.
Came across this article the other. It seems to be a revision of an article from 2011(pay per view although)
Guess we better change the sites name, lol.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-an ... here-s-why
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Taxonomy at its finest...

Postby Warren Klein » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:15 am

lol, this article leaves much to be desired but it would seem simpler to just include birds as feathered reptiles. Reptiles in general do seem to be some of the most difficult creatures to classify due their huge variability, but we know them when we see them. I'm sure the animals themselves couldn’t care less about what the confused humans are calling them now days.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:41 pm

Mmmm all good and well, but birds will be called birds and reptiles will be called reptiles for aeons to come. That's what I would imagine at least.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:35 pm

I read this a few days ago and thought it made sense, but as Predator said, there's no way it will ever change, just like Pluto is most likely still seen as a planet in school (...I think).

What gets me is the fact that reptiles are cold blooded and birds not, so there is definitely a distinction to be made.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:04 pm

Very good point you make there Westley.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to News and Announcements