More than 200 Frogs Confiscated at OR Tambo

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

More than 200 Frogs Confiscated at OR Tambo

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:02 am

Does anyone know anything about this intercepted frog shioment at OR Tambo?

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/more-than-200-frogs-confiscated-at-or-tambo-20160128
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Re: More than 200 Frogs Confiscated at OR Tambo

Postby Sico » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:50 am

I hardly expect that they would have become pets, more likely they would have become food (bull frogs) or traditional medicine (rain frogs). I can easily see the bullfrogs being bred in capitvity, but I doubt the rain frogs were captive bred.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:58 am

I also thought with the destination country that they were due to be sold as medicine.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:21 am

Definitely not pets.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:36 pm

They were shipped as pets. It is far too expensive to ship frogs as food.

Rumour has it that these were part of a larger shipment of animals but were snuck in not expecting an inspection. The animals that had permits were sent to the Far East and the frogs were taken to Pretoria zoo. Some were already dead and I have no idea what has happened to the others. They will not be destroyed before the court case and I have heard they are going to throw the book at the exporter.

We all know the rain frogs are not captive bred. If they were destined to be medicine they would have been killed and dried which funny enough would not have been against the law. The fact that they were alive is the offence. The bullfrogs are the ones which will cause the harsh penalty. Dead or alive they are protected.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to News and Announcements