New kid on the block

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about yourself here.

New kid on the block

Postby Darling » Thu May 19, 2011 12:16 pm

:smt006 Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and this might sound crazy, but i have absolutely no desire to touch a snake I don't know why, but i am extremely intrigued by them. I read about them ALL the time, i watch all the programmes on tv regarding snakes. I am absolutely fascinated by them, but at the same time paranoid that if i should ever see one in the wild, i would probably run a country mile in the opposite direction That is how scared i am of them!

My husband and i have always been curious when it comes to snakes. My Mom lives in Darling on the West Coast and when we there we are constantly looking around to see one when we drive up there. We are very cautious when we drive so as to not drive over one should one be basking on the tar. My kids one 5 yrs old and the smallie 1.5 years old have been watching snakes on tv since they popped out We visit reptile parks, but i am quite happy to be on the other side of the glass. I go into a cold sweat just looking at them and have to scurry through because it scares the cr@p out of me! So yip, i am crazy like that, i love them from a distance, but that's about it

I really do take my hat off to those who handle them. I think it takes a special person to do something like that. I am all for preserving our wildlife and i am a huge animal activist. I have joined this forum because of my curiosity regarding these reptiles and seeing that they live on my doorstep, i am hungry for more and more information about them. What i learn from you, i educate my children.

Sjoe, that was a long intro, so enough with me you guys go and do some herping and come back and write about it, so that i can enjoy reading about it!

Regards
Tania
Darling
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New kid on the block

Postby bubblesharp » Thu May 19, 2011 1:28 pm

So Tania, which will be your first snake then??? Its only a matter of time now!! hehehe!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Thu May 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey Tania

Welcome to the forum. To tell you the truth I was damn scared of snakes 6 years ago. I was just not comfortable with them and when I saw a snake I wanted to shoot them.
Now I have a nice collection of animals and I am so privileged to be able to own some of these animals and care for them. I must tell you my fascination started about 4 years ago when I visited a snake park in Hoedspruit and since then I've been learning more and more about these amazing animals. I've done numerous talks with school groups just to be able to share my fascination with the kids.

So happy you joined the forum and hope we can teach you about the animals we care for and spend allot of time with.
Regards
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boskobra » Thu May 19, 2011 1:37 pm

A very warm welcome.
With the expertise form the guys on this forum you are going to learn much more than just about snakes. :)
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:18 pm

A warm welcome to the site! I suggest you meet up with one of the people on the forum so that they can turn that little bit of fear you have into an obsesion lol. A lot of people started worse off than you, and they now have amazing collections. I am certain that when you touch your first snake and feel comfortable, you will want one.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Van2 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Welcome Tania.

Yes,it's like the other members said. Once that bug bites, there's no turning back :)

I've seen many people in my lifetime overcoming their fear of snakes. Us humans tend to fear anything we don't understand and have no knowledge of. Get to know some of the people here - I'm sure there's members here that's more than willing to teach and show you how to "safely" work with snakes. Remember not all of them are venomous and dangerous...in fact most are totally harmless.

Hope you enjoy it here!

Hannes
Van2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Thu May 19, 2011 10:52 pm

Welcome Tania
You will learn a great deal about reptiles on this site. I don;t have snakes but do have a number of bearded dragons (various ages and sizes) and a beautiful pair of frilled dragons.

I'm perfectly happy to handle reptiles - my phobia is spiders!!!! A few of our members have tarantulas and while they are really beautiful to look at, I keep my distance from them - even when in a cage!!! I'm completely terrified of them.

I too am an animal lover and have very strong opinions about people who don't look after their pets!!

I'm sure it won't be long before you touch your first snake. I always tell people that are afraid to hold them that they actually feel like a leather handbag. Cool and smooth. I don't know why but people assume that they are slimy which is not the case at all. My suggestion would be to go to a pet shop or snake park and ask if you can touch a snake. Then touch it with the tip of a finger at the tail end away from the head. Pretty soon you will be walking around with one curled around your arm!!

I did the same with my domestic when I got my beardies. Being a black woman she was terrified, but one day I caught her opening the cage and touching one of the beardies. She shuddered in horror but not long afterwards she actually picked it up and held it. Last Christmas she wanted me to take a photograph on her cell phone of her holding my big male, so she could show all the people at home. I told her to be careful or they would think she was a witch!! She thought this was really funny.

Now I just have to get over my fear of spiders!!! Anyway, welcome to the site and good luck "getting to know" snakes and other reptiles.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kevin Lancaster » Fri May 20, 2011 9:16 am

Welcome Tania.
I spent years differentiating between ‘fear’ and respect. I have learnt to respect snakes without fearing what they could possibly do to me. It helps to keep me on my toes, so to speak and constantly think of how my actions towards them will affect their reaction to me and my care and handling of them. I am not trying to convert you to the cause or convince you to take up keeping snakes, but should you do so, you will find it a really rewarding pastime.

Peace
“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” - Matthew 10:16
Kevin Lancaster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mmwc » Fri May 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Welcome, you could have not chosen a better site to join. I am sure it wont be long then the bug will bite, then from there its just awsomeness.
mmwc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Darling » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:25 pm

WOW!!! Hi Everyone, terribly sorry for only acknowledging your messages now :oops: To be honest, i logged on, but got glued onto my previous post re the identifying of a small snake found in my pool pump. Nevertheless, that is all asked and answered.

I just wanted to say a big THANKS for the warm welcome! Yes you are so right, as terrified as i am of them, i think my curiosity will one day definately bring me to finally touching one :shock: I don't know where it comes from and why, but my fascination and that of my husband's is sort of "weird" i.e. driving on a national road literally keeping our eyes peeled incase we see one, but not bothering to drive the actual speed limit and therefore when we look behind us, there is a trail of any drivers who would much prefer to be doing 120 km per hour rather than 60 :lol: :lol:

As mentioned, when we visit my Mom in Darling on the west coast, it takes us 2 hours to get there rather than 1 hour because we are on the lookout. I am happy to say that i have told her what to look out for on that side as well as what to do. She only moved there a year ago and doesn't have an inkling about snakes, she says it doesn't bother her, but i told her it would if she walked into her lounge or got into her pool and there was a little guy swimming along side her :shock: then she would definately be bothered :D

Nevertheless, i am very excited to chat on this forum, but also mostly to educate myself and take my knowledge to my family. I have the utmost respect for all animals and as Marion said, i too would have a huge problem with people who mistreat them.

I look forward to chatting and hearing of your experiences etc.

Tania
Darling
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Introductions