Introduction from Pmb

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about yourself here.

Re: Introduction from Pmb

Postby elizevdmerwe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:44 pm

miniature not iniature !
elizevdmerwe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:36 am

Indeed I was Westley, which is why I pointed out that it was likely an isolated incident and that I would gladly keep one now.
I reckoned it was worth a mention.

They definitely are like dinosaurs, I loved mine to bits. They are certainly more intelligent than beardies in my opinion.

As you say they are not quite as simple to keep as beardies due to size and so forth. I think they could be fine as starter lizards, but not for young children.

Elize, I wish I had a video camera in my hand at that moment. My iguana, in one of his rage episodes, chased my mother through the house one afternoon. This was lovely to watch, as she lept onto the couch to evade him, he simply jumped right on with her. At this point I intervened and as I approached him he launched at my feet and bit my shoe with spirit. I should have kept that shoe, it still had the punctures left by the teeth in it.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Inyanga » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:53 am

I have two Iggies which I adore. However, not for kids, too large and powerful, and my male is seriously unpredictable! He also has the ability to bite like a great white shark if the mood takes him...
Inyanga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby elizevdmerwe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Oh my Predator, what a sight that must have been! Your poor mom! Now something similar happened when a brown house snake came into our house one winter's evening. I had Adam (still a baby then) in my arms and stepped on the snake barefooted. Made a jump maybe 2-2.5m far. Hubby cornered the snake in the bathroom and deposited him outside. Luckily for the snake, we had our previous dogs at that stage, and they were pensioners of 13,14yrs respectively, so they couldn't be bothered with this intruder.

Inyanga wrote:I have two Iggies which I adore. However, not for kids, too large and powerful, and my male is seriously unpredictable! He also has the ability to bite like a great white shark if the mood takes him...

Adam loves the Iguana videos that I have shown him, but he is very soft hearted, and not the type to stand and intervene, or take charge (except with his younger brother, but that's another story *sigh*). A dominant Iguana won't do (and thus not a croc either). Maybe when he is older, and we have a bigger house, and less dogs, because it seems they really need the run of the place... which makes me think that they are serious burglar deterants?! A notice on the gate with an Iguana picture should keep most nosies off the property.
elizevdmerwe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slashback » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:08 am

Hi Elize,
I have a big wooden cage with sliding perspex doors that I used to keep my Red Tail Boa, and then a Beardie in. It has the lights and UV tubes etc if you are interested?
I'm also in Pmburg....
PM me or contact me on 082 781 2098 (Deon)
Cheers
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks it's head out of a moving car's window.
Slashback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby elizevdmerwe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:45 am

Hi Deon, sent you an sms.
Thanks for everyone's ideas and advice. I bought a 2nd hand cage from a lady here in Pmb Wednesday. Will write about our setup in another thread :)
elizevdmerwe
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Introductions