Hello

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about yourself here.

Hello

Postby Deltheil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:37 pm

Hey there.

I am completely new to reptiles but a very special snake sparked my interest and love for them this year and now I am considering getting my very first snake.

My partner got Nosh (Brazilian Rainbow Boa) this year. He is about 6 months now and he is very sweet.

I am moving from Cape Town to JHB and hopefully once I am settled I will start getting everything together, until then I am doing oodles of research, which is really fun and exciting.

I am most likely going to start off with a Ball Python but I am also very much taken by Rainbow Boa's. So I am stuck currently in choosing between those two beauties.

I think I will end up with a Rainbow Boa as they feed easier than the BP's and are not so picky I guess. I want to try stay clear from feeding live mice and rats for many reasons.

Any way here is Nosh taking a dip after feeding last night.
Deltheil
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hello

Postby krah » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:08 am

Welcome to the forum and the addictive reptile world! Brazilian Rainbow Boas and Ball pythons are both awesome species. I personally think the Balls are more docile. As far as feeding goes, JHB has plenty of pet shops that supply frozen or pre killed food items, and although I have 1 ball python who gave me feeding hassles for a while, the rest I have now and had previously all fed amazingly.

Either way, happy researching and best of luck!
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Winston Churchill.

Pastel BP 0.1.0
Firefly BP 1.0.0
Spider BP 1.0.0
Normal BP 0.1.0
Pied BP 1.1.0
Axanthic het pied BP 0.1.0
Banana BP 1.0.0
Albino Corn 0.1.0
Beardies 1.1.0
krah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jaredr » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:42 am

My only suggestion would be to consider the size that the Rainbow Boa will get to. But if Nosh is already around, then I am assuming space isn't going to be a problem.
An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
Jaredr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, glad to see the bug has bitten and gotten us some new blood :D
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MKDobison » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:21 pm

Hey Deltheil - Welcome :)

I'm also reasonably new here and to Herp-fever ;-) I was also very torn between a BRB and a Hypo-Ball when I was looking but I totally fell in love with a little Dumerlis Boa and that was it :) Got him the same day I saw him and he has been a dream ever since.

Feeds like a Savage - albeit he is a little slow to realise it is food time. He is docile as they come and being a male he will be a little smaller than a female of the same species (as is the case with most snakes) - only grows to between 5-7 feet as I understand it and at a slower rate than most.

He is real easy to care for and doesn't take constant monitoring but still regular cleaning, which all ads to the joy of snake keeping for me :)

However all said and done - only two months down the line I am already making space at home for Brazilian Rainbow because they really are BEAUTIFUL :D

Enjoy setting up for your new baby and looking forward to getting some pics when you all set-up here in JHB.
Look before you leap, For snakes among sweet flowers do creep.
MKDobison
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Deltheil » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:27 am

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Space is no issue as the room I have in JHB is huge so I can have a pretty big terrarium set up. I will decide which species I want though before buying a terrarium. I am not going to rush into this as I want everything working perfect before I even get the snake.

Who knows I may end up with both at some point.
Deltheil
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Introductions