Newbie from CPT

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about yourself here.

Newbie from CPT

Postby Viper1350 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:55 am

Howsit everybody :smt006

My name is Steven, from the windy Cape Town. 24 years old working as a draftsman, studying mechanical engineering part time.

I've been keeping fish for going on 10 years and been taking sneak peaks at snakes every time I go look at the local pet store's aquariums. I've been fascinated with snakes ever since I can remember even though I've always been a bit too scared to even hold one.

This past weekend I took the plunge and held my first snakes, a ball python, rat snake, and a beautiful corn snake. And I'm sold on the latter. :lol:

I've still got my old fish tank which I thought I could convert into a vivarium, but I think it might be too big for a small snake. It's dimensions are 1200x450x450. Ultimately I'd like to build a sliding-front cage but if I can get the aquarium to work I don't see why I can't use it :smt017

My biggest issue would be to convince my parents that a pet snake is 'okay'. (I live in a granny flat on the other side of the property) but my girlfriend has agreed to support it, reluctantly :smt016

Anyway, nice to be here, great to see such an awesome hobby create a community of passionate people :-D
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Newbie from CPT

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:02 am

Welcome brother. I am pleased to see the 'disease' is spreading.
Those dimensions are perfect for an adult. If you get a hatchling keep it in a tub until it's a bit bigger.

Fish tanks are fine, the only issue I have with them is that they leave room for an escape. If you make a screen top that fits nicely it wouldn't be a problem though.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks mate!

The bug has definitely bit me.

Can you elaborate on what a tub is exactly? Would that be similar to the pic or would it be a small clear "Big Jim" crate thing?

I have a few old smaller fish tanks at home that I could try to use? I have a 30 liter, 15 liter, 10 liter and a one liter :lol: I'm just worried that they are a bit too high to be a snake enclosure and that it will be difficult to get it out of there to handle. And I'm also afraid the heat pad might crack the aquarium glass.

A few things I need to make sure of though.

After transport, I leave the guy to get used to the surroundings for a few days? How many days is a few days????? :smt017
When do I feed it the first time? The pet shop will be able to tell me when he was last fed, so I can judge from that? I know I must wait about two days after feeding it before handling it and that I must only do about 15 mins the first few times, then move on to longer periods as we get used to each other. I understand hatchlings can sometimes be nippy but they usually outgrow this.

My first project though is getting my parents to allow me to get myself a pet snake :smt012 any tips :-D
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby moe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Well i dont think this is sound advice BUT and i SAY BUT, my first snake was a cali king and well my parents never wanted me to get one so i saved up i think i was 14 and well walked to the pet store bought it and came home with it... The rest is history...

Worked twice haha my parents and with my wife now aswell...

On a more mature note from my side... i think show your parents you have researched it properly etc and they should give you a listen

Hope you come right and welcome to a addiction of a hobby its the best thing there is....
moe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Either would be fine, the kind you buy at any plastic store will be a hell of a lot cheaper. You just need to make holes for ventilation but that's nothing. You can even keep a snake in a tub permanently, provided it's big enough.

Leave it alone for a week, then try feeding it and try handling it for the first time two or three days after it has eaten. It probably won't be nippy if you handle it regularly.

As for the parents, just get it and show them how snakes are totally different than they imagine they are.
To be honest and speaking from experience, they don't even need to know about it, it's amazing how snakes can go undetected for a long time ;). When they eventually come to know of it and have an issue, ask them if they've felt that way for the last month or however long you've had it. The answer would obviously be no, and that proves that its presence does not affect them whatsoever, they simply dislike the idea of it.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:00 am

Thanks for all the advice and input guys ;)

I'll be doing more and more and more research over the next month or so. Once I am confident with the information I have and have a nice selection of corns at the pet shop, I'll get myself my first reptile :-D

In the mean time I'll get a tub, some hiding spots and a heating pad and get the little one's pad sorted before I get it home.
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Careful with the Big Jim tubs, i had a baby corn in the 13ltr type and the snake escape for close to a month before finding it. It seems to have managed to squeeze between a gap in the lid and the tub. I have since resorted to using a snap close lunch box.
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:26 pm

So weird. I just logged in to see what was happening on the forum when the notification came through. :lol:

gekosin wrote:Careful with the Big Jim tubs, i had a baby corn in the 13ltr type and the snake escape for close to a month before finding it. It seems to have managed to squeeze between a gap in the lid and the tub. I have since resorted to using a snap close lunch box.

I managed to get a 13 liter tub from a plastics place down the road from the SO. It's got a clip on two side that hold it closed, but I'm scared that the longer sides which don't have the clips will be forced open. So I'll have to figure something out there. How big is that lunch box you found? I didn't know that you get lunch boxes larger than a sandwhich :smt017

I have other queries too, might as well post it in this thread.

Will I pass the housing inspection with a plastic tub like this?? Seeing as it's WC and all. :smt012

I've put my name down at Panorama Pet Shop for them to call me as soon as their hatchlings arrive. They've got a batch of candycanes (Not a big fan)coming in about a week or so and then end of Feb they'll be getting normals, amels and maybe some Pewters. I'm really keep on getting a Lavender morph (Le gf, she likes the pink ones eh) But I'm honestly not picky on colour, only on temperament.

EDIT: A pic of the tub I've got
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Another thing that I have been told to ask by the authorities that be... The gf has a Yorkie... IF the snake manages to get out, could it be a threat. I've been threatened with my life if something were to happen to her beloved furry friend.
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:40 pm

Nope more likely the other way around...
85% of all snakes are harmless!!!!
0:1 Super Hypo Leopard Gecko
God made everything... It's all to perfect for it to be able to just appear
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:52 pm

reptile wrote:Nope more likely the other way around...

I thought as much. Thanks reptile ;)
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Pleasure
85% of all snakes are harmless!!!!
0:1 Super Hypo Leopard Gecko
God made everything... It's all to perfect for it to be able to just appear
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:58 pm

the link below shows what i currently have its only 7ltrs but for the size of the snake that is currently in there its perfect and no chance of escape... only issue will probably be the price think i paid about R130 at west pack.

http://sistemaplastics.com/products/klip-it-rectangular/7l-rectangular
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 am

gekosin wrote:the link below shows what i currently have its only 7ltrs but for the size of the snake that is currently in there its perfect and no chance of escape... only issue will probably be the price think i paid about R130 at west pack.

http://sistemaplastics.com/products/klip-it-rectangular/7l-rectangular

That's not a bad price. I paid about R90 for my tub so that's not expensive considering I won't be using it for apples :lol:

It's a pity they don't make bigger sizes of those. They'll be making some good money off the reptile trade :D
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Introductions