exo-terra expo

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: exo-terra expo

Postby Whitelipp » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:52 pm

:twisted: INDEED
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:03 am

@ Whitelipp and Snakes4Africa:

I agree with you, I also hate it when people try to pull the wool over your eyes like that.

I'm impartial in spending more or less money, as long as the snake is in good condition...

I was an unfortunate recipient of a WC bp but did not know at the time... Only after spending a lot of money at the vets I found out that she was a WC. She unfortunately died soon after and that's why I learnt to always look for quality.

So a less expensive snake cost me even more in the long run than just buying a healthy one straight away...
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby EDDY » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:08 am

You know in todays life we always say treat all animals as wild caught. So thats why all my animals are parasite flushed and dewormed if I get them. You never know.

You can get wild caught that do very well in captivity and then you can get captive breds that do very bad in captivity.
"if this car drive into group of gypsy, would there be any damage to the car?" BORAT
EDDY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nitschei » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 am

How do people smuggle reptiles into the country??

They scan the luggage at the airport?
Nitschei
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dendroaspis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:24 pm

How do people smuggle drugs and firearms into the country? They have customs?
Same thing, different product
Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
dendroaspis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:36 pm

The question we should be asking is "why should people have to smuggle reptiles into a country?".
1. There are quarantine restrictions which just about everybody believes is a good idea.
2. There are CITES regulations which any serious herpetoculturist thinks we should adhere to.
3. There are import duties which we know like death and taxes we have to pay this and nobody has a massive problem with it.
4. Unlike guns or drugs these are not bad for society or outlawed to own.

It would seem that the inability of the conservation bodies to come up with scientifically justifyable reasons to turn down a permit application is the cause. Is smuggling then a crime (as in a sin) or just an alternative to a system which discriminates against the reptile community by a bunch of idiots who should not be in the positions they are.

Importing ornamental fish for trade is legal, as are most cage birds, dogs, cats and many mammals like monkeys and chichillas. Plants can be imported especially because they do well in South Arica and are thus potentially invasive. The economic advantages (employing gardeners it seems) outweigh the potential for disaster in these cases but because reptiles are kept by a predominatly non-black section of the population we will never be consulted or taken seriously.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Spoon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:41 pm

Snakes4Africa wrote:As I look at my screen, I see a can of worms. And its open!

Wicked I'll bring my bearded dragons!
Corns : 1.1 Adult Normals het Anery, 0.1 Adult Normal, 1.1 Adult Ghosts (Striped & Aztec), 1.1 Ghost motley het Snow, 1.1 Adult Lavender, 1.1 Adult Opal, 1.1 Adult Amel Motley, 1.1 Bloodreds Het Pewter, Phantom & Hypo; 1.1 Butter; Adult 0.1 Vanishing Stripe; 0.1 Snow. Pythons : 1.1 Ball Pythons
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:14 pm

I don't really have a problem with imported or smuggled animals, just with wild-caught animals being sold in huge numbers. I feel that wild-caught animals should be kept in small, manageable numbers and their offspring sold.
Why does this not happen? Mainly greed and the reluctance to do any real work the animals. It is easier to make the quick buck just selling the animal to the end user.
I'm not climbing on my high horse as I am aware that ALL of our founder stock was wild-caught and that genetic diversity is important, lets just be honest and keep the interests of the animal and the buyer at heart. Regardless of the price, a dead snake is useless to the buyer. A healthy snake will encourage the buyer to come back to next time.
These Reptile Shows are great way to get more people interested in the animals we all love so much, but the only way to keep them interseted is to sell quality animals honestly.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Well yes exactly.But then you get pet shops that tell you when you ask why thy dont go to the show that they dont make enough profit. Shabooble people,these shows are not about making a huge profit its about a few things actualy. Creating interest,exposure,marketing and then high turn over. Not necisarely profit. If you had 10 corns and sold 8 you were extremely succesfull. So people that tell me they dont make enough profit at shows should do the industry a favour and close their doors.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:10 pm

I don't really have a problem with imported or smuggled animals, just with wild-caught animals being sold in huge numbers. I feel that wild-caught animals should be kept in small, manageable numbers and their offspring sold.

200% behind you there.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby insaniac » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:14 pm

I agree,

At least make sure the animals are used to our climate and healthy enough to sell... !
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby EDDY » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:32 pm

Another thing we should look at is things like deforestation and habitat destruction. These things destroy and wipe out millions of organisms everyday. So if wild caught animals could be imported in a humanly way so that it can survive. Then it can be successfully kept in captivity and bred etc etc.
"if this car drive into group of gypsy, would there be any damage to the car?" BORAT
EDDY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby psychomike » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

froot wrote:

200% behind you there.

All u guys make total sense, but if we live in some alternative universe it would be so, where wild caught animal are kept to the bear minimum and there offspring sold, but we all know that will never be the case as us humans get corrupted so easily when it comes to profit and nothing will actually stand in our way of that. Every animal activist knows this, but us good folk can try to create awareness of what is actually happening.

Just imagine 100 wild snakes jammed into containers for the purpose of breeding and then exporting there offspring to countries that will allow the snakes to be imported. just the thought of that makes my blood boil, but human are such ... sellers will pull the wool over your eyes to blind you from the truth!!!

As for the smuggling due to legislative short falls i'm all for it actually, largely "DEPENDING" on the living conditions of the parent snakes and the method of import. i would neva support exporters that care more for there pockets than for there animals .... hope i make sense to you guys
psychomike
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:37 pm

Truer ( spelling ) words have never been spoken...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Death-Skull » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:04 pm

Hey all,

I just wanna say thanks to all who stopped by and made my small yet interesting display of venomous worthwhile. Thanks
------------"A GUY stands up for HIMSELF -BUT- A MAN stnands up for OTHERS"------------"Si vis pacem, para bellum"------------
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities