Reptile Expo Durban 2010

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: Reptile Expo Durban 2010

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:33 am

I agree, a two day expo would be better as then people from other areas (like as Gauties) would come down. If you can hold it over a long weekend that would be even better, but you will need to advertise the dates at least 3 months in advance in order for us to find accommodation down there.

Good luck Byron, and you know we are there to help & support you and we're only a phone call away.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby froot » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:44 pm

Only saw this topic now and I'm all for it. Good on you Byron! I'm sure we all here will offer assistance where we can, it must happen.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby deleray » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:04 pm

I have never understood the two day expo thing.. really what is the point unless it is not an expo but a show? If the expo is any good 90% of what is worthwhile buying (if it isn't sold before the doors open!) is gone by the next day. So the guys on the second day just get the dregs of what is left and pay the same price? Sure, for the people running the show the entry fees are double, but cannot see much point in going there on the second day.

If you have gone to Hamm or Houten, the show is finished after 4 hours, there is no point in staying there any longer, everything worthwhile is gone.
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:41 pm

deleray wrote:If you have gone to Hamm or Houten, the show is finished after 4 hours, there is no point in staying there any longer, everything worthwhile is gone.

That\s all good and well but the reality is it's not this is not on that level.
I think the 2 day expo is better:
More chance of more people being exposed to the hobby and exposed to reptiles/products.
Gives people a chance to give their purchase a little time to think it through.
By having it on two days it also gives the exhibitors more time to sell stock. ie if they sell out of a particular animal/product they
may (if in their area) have the opportunity to get more or another.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:50 pm

I second your post fooble, I also think a 2 day expo would be better.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 pm

deleray, I hear you, and that is exactly why I posed the question. Call it a show or an expo, its the same thing.. The longest running Expo in South Africa is the House and Garden Expo, and it is on for 10 days every year!
We don't have the same level of trade or interest that Germany has, or used to have. I have not been to Hamm or Houten but know about them and how they work. I have exhibited at every show/expo in South Africa bar the 1st one so I know how it works here.
Even in the States and Germany, some of the really high-end stuff goes back home with the seller. Not everything worthwhile sells out straight away. That certainly may have been the case a few years ago, but not any more.
As for the door takings being doubled by having the expo over two days, I don't really believe that to be the case. If it was only one day, people would make the effort to be there! Especially serious buyers, not just the walk-and-see-mores.
As an exhibitor you can lose sales if you are too busy. Historically I have had really great 1st days and really great 2nd days. Sometimes it takes a little while for someone to make a big money decision, and sometimes they lose out.
All that said, I initally intended to do a one-day show but am beginning to change my mind. For exposure to the general public, who may be the buyers of the future, a 2-day show is better. It is more tiring as an exhibitor to do 2 days, but certainly worth the effort. If exhibitors are travelling from other provinces, a one day show is just not worth-while.
The dates I intend doing it are unfortunately not over a long-weekend but are during school holidays. I get very nervous travelling over long week-ends! The weather is still pleasant in Durban in July and there is a lot on the go that time of year.
As for punting it as an indigenous expo, I agree that is a great selling point, but people from outside of KZN must be aware that they will need permits to keep and transport the reptlies.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:07 am

I support the 2 day theory. As for the second day being a waste of time, this is just not true.
At the Crawford Expo I picked up a couple of bargains late on the second day.
Should anyone need assistance at a stand, I can help, that is provided that I don't take my own stand at this expo.

@ Snakes4Africa - Byron, maybe we can do a poll and from that arrive at a 1 or 2 day show answer, just an idea.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:27 am

The problem with one day shows is that in the past we have had people complain that they could not make it on the first day, forgot and saw in online or in the paper that night, or decided over night that they could afford it and came back. It is a bigger headache for the organiser as well.

Hamm and Houten are a waste of time for the serious collecter in any case. Most deals are made before hand and all the really good stuff gets sold before the doors even open. The number of visitors is also way more than any local expo. The show is basically used as a delivery point for items ordered in advance. Some excess stock does get sold off though by a few impulsive buyers. The region that they serve is also massive. The aim of these expos is to trade reptiles and amphibians and that is all. You would never see people posing for pictures with a Beardie at these expos!

Look at the National Breeders Expo in Florida and they stretch over three days. Besides sales of herps, the aim of their expo is to hold talks and be a central place for discussion and even fund raising for Rainforest funds etc.

Local expos generally have more than a single purpose. The idea is obviously to trade in reptiles but they are not glorified flea markets. Mostly there are new products or books which are launched as well as some educational displays for people from all walks of life. To expand the hobby to those who have a mild interest is of paramount importance. If we do not get new parties interested we may just as well collect stamps and kiss this hobby goodbye. Eight years ago there were 3 petshops in Gauteng that sold reptiles regularly and only one in KZN that had more than a few reptiles in stock all year round. I believe that the expos have in some way helped develop this hobby by bringing what was a past time for the "lunatic fringe" to the main stream. How many petshops now have reptiles and also keep a few other animals compared to the other way around a number of years ago? Is it co-incidence that this all happened after the first expo 7 years ago?

For some youngster who is interested in buying himself a corn snake he cannot get the right info if he is competing with people arguing about the colour morphs of Garden tree boas at the same place. They can also shop around for better prices or different reptiles which they could not do unless they drive around to 20 petshops in a day. These people need to convince mothers or girlfriends (or fathers and boyfriends) that reptiles are great and they want to learn how to look after them properly. Now they can think about it and bug their mothers etc and possibly get them to come back the next day.

If the expo can just be a showcase for the general public then we will have achieved far more than all the documentaries on TV by allowing people to see these animals up close and possibly think about acquiring one in future.

The ideas we have for the "expo" in Cape Town is so far removed from a Hamm or Hauten that it might even have to get another name. Comparing Africa to Europe will never be possible.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:47 am

I thik Bv said it all lol.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:07 pm

deleray wrote:I have never understood the two day expo thing.. really what is the point unless it is not an expo but a show? If the expo is any good 90% of what is worthwhile buying (if it isn't sold before the doors open!) is gone by the next day. So the guys on the second day just get the dregs of what is left and pay the same price? Sure, for the people running the show the entry fees are double, but cannot see much point in going there on the second day.

If you have gone to Hamm or Houten, the show is finished after 4 hours, there is no point in staying there any longer, everything worthwhile is gone.

deleray, when we still did the one day expo thing I had people who complained cause they could not make it on the Saturday. This could be due to religious beliefs, work related. Generally people do not work on a Sunday, but there are some that will not go anywhere because of religious beliefs, once again. You have to try cater for everyone. It's only one weekend, and you do not have to be there both days. Nowhere does anyone force you to go on both days. It is for people who cannot make it if it was just one day, and honestly, the chances that people will travel just for a one day expo are far less.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby zkramm » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:33 pm

i work for a pet shop and depending on the price off a stand we would be there.
zkramm
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deleray » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:27 am

Ok, see the point you are trying to make. I suppose I see it from a collectors point of view and not an educational show/exhibition point. To me you go there and wait for the doors to open, get in, do some deals and get out with your haul :-)

Would love to see it happen in Dbn Byron. I remember like 10 years ago we spoke about this!
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakemanjayd » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:35 am

Sounds great guys!!!

I really like what Bushviper was saying, to make it educational, to bring more people to the hobby, not just to trade amongst ourselves.

snakesforafirca - I'll just have to check with the wife, and see if breeding goes well this year, but I'll most likely get a table.
snakemanjayd
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:03 pm

snakemanjayd wrote:snakesforafirca - I'll just have to check with the wife, and see if breeding goes well this year, but I'll most likely get a table.

Congratulations on the marriage! Happy days ahead!
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:47 pm

Hows the expo in Cape Town going to work regarding the permits etc?

I prefer 2 day expos, I agree with what BV and BB said.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities