Reptile Expo Durban 2010

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Reptile Expo Durban 2010

Postby rolandslf » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:15 pm

Good Afternoon All

I am interested in putting together a Reptile Expo in Durban next year.
Any input as to interested parties, ideas, dates etc., please feel welcome to voice opinions.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Reptile Expo Durban 2010

Postby marc bt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:18 pm

This is a great idea Roland!
i'm with 110% of the way. This would be a great topic to discuss at our next KZNHU meeting.
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:19 pm

There may already be an expo in the pipeline by another party. Not sure how far the arrangements are. He frequents this forum, so possibly he will ad some input.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Snakes4Africa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:59 pm

Indeed!! Things are in the pipeline as we speak. I have provisionally booked two venues for July 2010 but was going to wait a little longer to start advertising.
Putting an Expo together is no simple matter, as I am rapidly discovering! The red tape is daunting and the costs are quite frightening.
I would be interested to know how many people, either in KZN or not would be interested in exhibiting their animals/products. My plan is to make the show affordable to even the smaller breeders, with table prices starting at around R500.00.
Watch this space for more info!!
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scavenger » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:08 pm

I really miss the old expos, would be great to get them going again
Knowledge talks, wisdom listens
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 10gbooj » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:07 pm

From what I've heard the previous expos in Kzn were pretty nice. So ja, I'd be very keen to have something like this organized! Kudos to the guys putting it together :)
10gbooj
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wobbles » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:18 pm

dont even know what i will be doing in two days time but will be at this one for sure. where are the two provisional venues or is that secret ?
Wobbles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:19 pm

I'd like to get some feedback from exhibitors and people who have come to these expos, wherever they may be.
Do you prefer a one-day or two-day show?
What do you like to see and what would you like to see?
What did you not like?

I'd really like to make this show this a success so any feeback would be appreciated.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wobbles » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:25 pm

dude im am of the opinion ( having attended many of these shows ) that it is better for the exhibitors to have as many customers as possible spend on one day only. it is obviously better for the guy taking the money at the door to have a two day show.

think hamm. one day. enough said
Wobbles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dazz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:54 am

Hey byron.david and i will definatly be there
Conservate!
dazz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:59 am

I think if you have it at a busy centre like the Gateway one was then as Wobbles says, 2 days is better for gate takings as you double your impulse visitors, as well as give the keepers double the opportunity to pop in if they perhaps couldnt make it the first day.
I dont see how this could be a negative thing for exhibitors either aside from the late travelling for exhibitors going back to Gauteng etc.
I guess the only thing is the additional expense of having the venue for the extra day and deciding whether or not you will make enough extra on the second day to cover it.

I think even further emphasis should be placed on indigenous stuff than has been at previous shows in KZN. We are the one province which are able to so and so should maximise it.
There are some rare local animals in some collections which would add great value to an exhibit.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wobbles » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:36 am

im in agreement with rob. in natal we can have and trade in indigenous reptiles so i hope there will be a few guys showing off their indigenous stuff as well as offering some captive bred ( hopefully ) offspring for sale. this will give the up country guys something to drool over im sure.
Wobbles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JPWittstock » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:02 am

I am with Woobles and Rob on this, If it is a busy centre then two days if it is a stand alone venue, like one of the schools then a one day expo. Count me in.
JP
JP WITTSTOCK
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:25 am

I would like to see a 2 day expo, it could be possibly planned over a long weekend with the Monday being a public holiday. This gives the up country people time to get home. I fancy the indigenous theory as it is here that I can acquire the beginnings of an indigenous collection.
I unfortunately would only have exotics to sell at the expo.

If there is any way I can help you Byron, please let me know.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:59 pm

I agree with a 2 day expo, as a school boy i always seem to miss one of the days as there is always school sports on the saturday.I have seen so much interest by my friends towards my reptiles that i am sure that there will be alot of youth coming so be sure to advertise to the schools.

I think Indigenous is a must in our part of the country but some exotics won't hurt anyone, especially some vipers ;)

If anyone needs some extra hands at their store, i'll be more than happy to help out.
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities