SOS² Reptile Expo 1 & 2 May 2010

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: SOS² Reptile Expo 1 & 2 May 2010

Postby NickFT » Mon May 03, 2010 2:05 pm

hey guys,,

Have to agree with every one it was an awesome event, sorry Boadicea, I took one of the Emerald Tree Boas, so lets just hope he is healthy and will be around for many years, I know someone with a female so mabe in the future we can breed these Beautiful snakes. I saw and spoke to some of the members including BV and BB but didnt introduce myself. Thanks for the awesome event and can not wait until next year.

Peace
Constipated people dont give a cr@p
NickFT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NickFT » Mon May 03, 2010 2:11 pm

Sorry forgot to add,, someone was asking how much some of the Ball Pythons were going for,, FF (fun fact) supposedly the axanthic spider, if they had to sell would go for somewhere in the region of R75000, I almost sh@t in my pants when I heard that, but beautiful snake none the less
Constipated people dont give a cr@p
NickFT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon May 03, 2010 2:33 pm

What an amazing show! The people were what made it so wonderful. Book my stand for the next show again. Next show I hope to have two books on my stand - The corn snake one and a Beardie one. Also iguanas and ball pythons (you know who you are that promised me to write it...) will be available in the near future as well. The plan is to get more South Africans writing and more books on reptiles by those that breed them here to the buyer of these wonderful creatures.

Sorry to hear about theft. How people can ruin the show for others by stealing their stock is beyond me!

The Ball pythons were amazing. I am going to be playing the lotto religiously till I win, then the bumble and killer bees will be nice and cozy in a new cage in my house ;)
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JF1 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:41 pm

This was my first time at the SOS2 and in no way my laast time. The only thing that I dont like about expo's is that i seem to have to buy more stuff. lol. I went home wiht a little male boa now known as Emperor. It was grate. thanks for all the hard work put in to make it an fun and enjoyble expo.
JF1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby B-Morelia viridis » Mon May 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Outraged!

I was at the expo on Sunday and the snakes were amazing, the chameleons, iguana's, monitors were all amazing. Scorpions and spiders (not my thing) but cool. What I am outraged about is the poor condition of the leopard gecko's. Between my girlfriend and myself we counted at least ten little Leo's that were skin and bone and looked like they were on their way out! I have been shopping around at many pet shops for some Leo's for some time now but NEVER have I seen such unhealthy animals??? Are the pet shops paying all their attention to the snakes and other reptiles and forgetting about the Leo's? One had been burnt or injured somehow on it's face, (looked quite recent) and was still on sale at full price. Surely one would try nurture the wound before trying to sell it? There was one that was so skinny the head was twice the width of it's body? Can someone please enlighten me on why they are like that or why they have been allowed to be kept in those conditions? I saw some that looked like they hatched on their way to the expo. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty healthy ones, but TOO many unhealthy? I was so tempted to buy a couple just to save them! Two more questions, Why are the Leo's so expensive all of a sudden? Was it just for the expo?

Other than that, lovely to see so many beautiful reptiles under one roof. Especially my beloved Madagascar Day Geckos.

Will be eagerly awaiting a response...
Photography is 1% talent and 99% moving furniture
B-Morelia viridis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon May 03, 2010 6:28 pm

What were the leopard gecko's selling for?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby B-Morelia viridis » Mon May 03, 2010 7:40 pm

They started at R500 for ones just bigger than newly hatched. Then R900 for anything as big as a thumb and like over a thousand for some bigs ones. I found 1 for R300, but that was so tiny it looked like it should still belong in the egg. I just spoke to someone else who went and I asked them on their opinion on the Leo's, He sai to me, "I didn't even notice them." That's what I am talking about, everyone was so interested in the snakes and other eptiles? Surely EVERY reptile should be taken care of even if it is common, not popular or not even liked by the owner? I bought a jouvi leo from a pet shop extremely healthy for R450? Explain why something half the size, half the health is so expensive? I would love to hear from some of the people selling them at the expo?
B-Morelia viridis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon May 03, 2010 7:47 pm

That doesn't sound right.

Normal hatchlings should be about R150- R250 max of course morph dependent.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby B-Morelia viridis » Mon May 03, 2010 8:01 pm

Nope, they weren't even morphs. I actually saw some morphs the same price as normal ones???? Were they ALL in this together because there were almost NO price differences at all the stalls??? When I bought my gecko I found some others the same size for R900, but that was expected because they were males as when I bought mine majority of breeders bred females, so demand was high for males. Whats the expos excuse?
B-Morelia viridis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby B-Morelia viridis » Mon May 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Here, found some pics of mine when I bought it. Remember, R450. Then just try remember what you saw at the expo?
B-Morelia viridis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon May 03, 2010 8:18 pm

I dont think you can blame the "expo" its more like breeders seeing other peopel charge X amount may cause others to charge the same.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby B-Morelia viridis » Mon May 03, 2010 8:38 pm

I am not blaming the expo. I should have worded that better. I'm am sorry. What I meant is what's the excuse of the exhibitors at the expo? Like I said earlier, expo was great except the Leo's condition.
B-Morelia viridis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Mon May 03, 2010 8:51 pm

B-Morelia viridis wrote:What I meant is what's the excuse of the exhibitors at the expo?

Look I do not mean to argumentative but did you try speeking to any of the exhibitors to which you are now referring?The ones with the animals which looked unwell to you, did you discuss your concerns with the exhibitors or even the organizers?
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby B-Morelia viridis » Mon May 03, 2010 9:03 pm

Unfortunately I didn't because at the time I was there it was so busy and quite frankly, I was so upset I would have probibly lost my cool, said some things I shouldn't have and get thrown out. Didn't really want to ruin it for anyone else. I am just trying to find out if I was the only one who saw what I saw and if anyone has answers. My heart broke seeing them like that and when it comes to animals I can become very aggressive. They can't always stick up for themselve. It was best I kept quiet at the time
B-Morelia viridis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Redmachine » Mon May 03, 2010 10:30 pm

B-Morelia viridis,i did see some gecko's there.
They were on one of The tables at one of the stalls,no one was actually looking at them And the heat bulb was off,some of them were lying on there stomach's.i don't know if its natural and I'm no expert but some of them did look sick.
It was a shame though,people were more interested in the snake's and couldn't bother with the gecko's.
I think i saw some for r250,and I'm pretty sure i saw for r900 also.
Your one looks amazing though.
-High 5-
Redmachine
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities