SOS² Reptile Expo 1 & 2 May 2010

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: SOS² Reptile Expo 1 & 2 May 2010

Postby Rishaad » Tue May 04, 2010 8:10 am

It is very sad that people will actually steal animals right off a display table and right under the noses of exhibitors. I say name and shame them so they will think twice about ever doing it again.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby B-Morelia viridis » Tue May 04, 2010 9:08 am

Thanks Redmachine. The injury wasn't from the duration of the expo, it deffinitaly happened before the expo. I will not name any places with the geckos because its not right, but if push comes to shove I might have to. I heard the state vet was supposed to be there? Does anyone know if they were?
Photography is 1% talent and 99% moving furniture
B-Morelia viridis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snow » Tue May 04, 2010 9:45 am

Good day,

i was at the expo briefly on Sunday, good to see a few of the old faces again.

With regards to the "thieves" Name and shame them. If they have the nerve to steal they need to deal with the consequences. This Hobby/community is growing rapidly and in my opinion there is no room for "shady" characters.
Breeders work exeptionaly hard and spend huge amounts of money importing new stock to keep the hobby "updated" then there hardwork is destroyed by petty thieves and scamsters :smt011

Name and shame :smt013

im sick of this hobby being dragged into the gutter
Keep it real !
Snow
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue May 04, 2010 10:59 am

B-Morelia viridis wrote:Thanks Redmachine. The injury wasn't from the duration of the expo, it deffinitaly happened before the expo. I will not name any places with the geckos because its not right, but if push comes to shove I might have to. I heard the state vet was supposed to be there? Does anyone know if they were?

B-Morelia viridis, Could you please pm me who the exhibitors were? In future I will double check their stuff. Obviously having been rather busy I didnt get to check out everyone's stuff, usually we do tell them to take ill looking snakes off display and take them away, but we do slip up. Next time find myself or BV (this only applies for this show though) and we can check up on it.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 04, 2010 11:16 am

B-Morelia viridis wrote:Unfortunately I didn't because at the time I was there it was so busy and quite frankly, I was so upset I would have probibly lost my cool, said some things I shouldn't have and get thrown out. Didn't really want to ruin it for anyone else.

You were too busy, but you find the time to blame "the Expo" two days later? That does not seem fair?

We had a vet look at the animals that were on display when the expo starts on the Saturday. At that time we could not see anything unusual although I did pull three snake exhibits due to health problems. During the expo the crowds do not make it easy for us to see what the people have on each stand.

The prices are what each exhibitor decides is what they want. I saw some stunning geckos at the door and the people had not paid anywhere near the prices you mentioned. The one was a totally tangerine and light purple colour. I was blown away by it. The crested geckos that I saw were all in pristine condition as where the Phelsuma but I did not pay extra attention to any Leopard geckos on the stands.

Remember we only provide the venue. What the exhibitors decide to sell and and at what price, is determined by the customers and that we have no control over. If someone complains we would however get an expert to have a look and if the animal is sub-standard we would have asked the exhibitor to remove it. That is a condition on the exhibitor agreement.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby neko » Tue May 04, 2010 11:43 am

It was brilliant, as usual. I wish we could have stayed longer, but my BF was a bit ill so we rushed through on Sunday. I thought it would be quiter mid morning on a sunday. HA! I really should have known better.

We managed to get a little brown basilisk, but I can't remember who it was from! I think they also had some Namib geckos.... so tempting. The cresties, my gosh. I've never seen so may in one place! If I'd had any money available on my credit card I'd have spent it all on them.

It's a pity about the stealing. I hope you find them and they get what they deserve. We thought we saw someone stealing a snake from the stand where we bought the basilisk. There was a guy in an orange shirt who slid the top off the one cage and just walked away with the snake. I felt a bit like an idiot because I told the guy behind the "counter" about it, and it turns out it was just one of his guys who took it to show it to someone else.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby B-Morelia viridis » Tue May 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Bushviper, I said "IT WAS BUSY". I didn't want to make a scene at the expo like I said. It's just been bugging me so much. See, maybe that's what happened. The vet was there saturday morning but I was there Sunday afternoon. Maybe the vets only saw the acceptable ones? Just throwing it out there. I totally understand how difficult it is to keep track of every animal at an expo like that, that is why I am not blam ing the expo. I want to hear from the exhibitors. And I know that the prices are the exhibitors prices and the expo has nothing to do with that. What I want to know is how was every exhibitors prices the same and som expensive? Again, want to hear from the exhibitors and not bring the expo into disrepute in ANY way!!

I saw some stunning geckos at the door and the people had not paid anywhere near the prices you mentioned. The one was a totally tangerine and light purple colour. I was blown away by it. The crested geckos that I saw were all in pristine condition as where the Phelsuma but I did not pay extra attention to any Leopard geckos on the stands.

When did you see/speak to the people who bought the Leo's? And yes, the cresteds and the phelsuma's were in great condition. I made it a point of paying extra attension to the leopards because I am going to be shopping around for another one and I wanted to know what was out there. That's how I picked it up because I went around pretty much focussing all my attention on the Leo's.

And please please please don't think that I am blaming the expo, degrading the expo or trying to ruin it. I have said a few times, the expo was GREAT. For future reference if I see animals in this condition again I will follow the correct procedure. I posted this up so that the exhibitors could have a chance to explain what I saw without it turning ugly.
B-Morelia viridis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Long John Silver » Tue May 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Damit I unfortunately missed this one.
Great to see everyone had a blast
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby riderx48 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:07 pm

I say let it go and we move forward from here, like they said, next year they will pay extra attention to the animals on display. I don't think there is much use dawdling over things that have been pointed out. Things should only get better from here.
I have a dream for the future of my snakes and I will do anything to make it possible
riderx48
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Tue May 04, 2010 6:10 pm

neko wrote:We managed to get a little brown basilisk, but I can't remember who it was from! I think they also had some Namib geckos.... so tempting.

Namib geckos? please elaborate :D
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 04, 2010 6:14 pm

B-Morelia viridis I am sorry I did not read it correctly. I really wish we culd have sorted it out on the day to make everyone happy and to ensure the exhibitors do not try and pull that stunt again next year. Some will possibly not be invited back next year so it is possible that the bad apples are removed.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby B-Morelia viridis » Tue May 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanx Bushviper. I wasn't trying to make a scene I was just looking out for the animals we all love. I will let Bushbaby know of some of the exhibitors. That's all I wanted, awareness.

I won't bug you guys again. Thanks for the help. Great show!!
B-Morelia viridis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Wed May 05, 2010 8:26 am

Photography is 99% talent and 1 % moving furniture.... you should have taken pictures of them to show us how bad they looked.
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby vuduman » Wed May 05, 2010 8:32 am

Thanks alot BB and BV for putting this show together.To me as an exhibitor,you guys made everything run smoothly.Well done!
Thanks to everyone who came to support at the show to make it all possible.
I came home completely broke,but my collection got a huge upgrade! :)
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Thu May 06, 2010 3:10 pm

Some of the leos I saw at the show
Another pretty gecko. The guy from Draco didn't want me to take pics of them so I only got this one.
Herpers jewellery
LOOOVE these guys
Chantel
Anyone for cockroaches?
Legless Dragon's stand
Nice big carpet python
Prettty Burm
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities