SOS² Reptile Expo 1 & 2 May 2010

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: SOS² Reptile Expo 1 & 2 May 2010

Postby Boadicea » Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Don't know how much the ammodytes were. Don't think I saw a price on them. They were at the SA Reptiles stand so maybe BV or BB may know. I love snakes...full stop. So I couldn't say that an adult Bismarck is ugly. Chamsss is right. The selection of venomous at the show was really cool this time around. I think the veiled cham was in a tank by herself but can't be sure because she was right up against the glass and there could have been one behind her that I didn't focus on.
Yes mgiddings what DID you get?
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Sun May 02, 2010 7:57 pm

Boadicea, I meant how the bismarck changes colour for the worse in my opinion. NO snake is truly ugly to me.

I mean stuff as in stuff haha, only got amazon tree boas (nice yellow). Like I got so many magazines, calander, stickers etc.

SO what did the rest of you guys get? And girls :) ?
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby groovy » Sun May 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanx to the organisers!! It was really a great expo AGAIN this year!!

I wish we could have one every month,but then I'll always be in debt.. :smt021

Hope the rest of you Herpers enjoyed it like I did..
groovy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Ya! Well done to all the organisers and sellers! You did a great job.. I think it was a HUGE success!
Knowledge comes from reading a book. Experience comes from... not reading it.
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Sun May 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Show. Was. AWSOME!

I so almost went home with a little Macklots python it wasn't FUNNY! picked up my new blizzard corn from Chantel he's a twitchy little devil! will post pics as he grows! there as usual was LOT of cool stuff to see, got too meet a bunch of people from the forum which was cool! always good to put a face to a name!

Cheers to BB and BV for another brilliant event! we love you guys!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Mon May 03, 2010 8:00 am

What an awesome weekend spent with awesome people. Was nice seeing old faces again and also meeting some of the forum members for the first time. The animals on display were absolutely stunning and I saw many species for the first time. Thanks to JP for taking us up there and bringing us back safely and also for the great discussions and conversations we had we had on the way. Thanks to Arno and Heidi for the great hospitality at their place and also for organising an amazing event. You guys nailed it. A truly unforgettable weekend and I wait in anticipation for the next one.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Mon May 03, 2010 8:42 am

Great Expo! Didn't get to see alot of the really great stuff before they were snatched up Saturday morning but my word it was amazing!! Didn't pick up any reps though because I'm so broke, saving up lol just bought rails for my cages and rats. It was great meeting some of the forum members. Monday morning isn't going great though what with all the muscle pains from packing up :) . EXCELLENT Expo BV and BB!
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Redmachine » Mon May 03, 2010 9:10 am

Aah..First time being to the expo,it Was great.
I really had an amazing time.
Sorry if i didn't come introduce,lol.i was too busy stressing about some stuff.
Finally!
I bought my red tail boa and i named her chappie.
But,I did manage to get ripped off by a stall.they said it was a 25 watt heating pad,it isn't.
Can't wait for the next 1,I'ma start saving now.
Redmachine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 03, 2010 9:45 am

Well from my side I can honestly say I am so glad this only comes around once a year. I am totally "buggered' this morning however after reading the comments here I do think it is all worth while.

It is such a nice opportunity to see all the folks that we only get to see once a year is amazing and I can honestly say that in the past 8 years this hobby has grown from having a few people interested into a mainstream activity. The first expo had a few hundred people attending and this one had about 6000 visitors.

"Price" and "product" have become the words you need to be aware of. If the exhibitors did not make a killing then these two things were not in tune.

Well dont give up hope we have already had a number of exhibitors wanting to pay deposits LAST NIGHT for next year. Thank you for all the kind words.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby olivierwikus » Mon May 03, 2010 9:50 am

Thanks a MILLION to the orgonisers it was an EXCELLENT show
When all else fail read the instructions
olivierwikus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon May 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Thank you to everyone who attended and supported us. The show was a success because of all of you. Thank you!! Thanks for all the good feedback as well. I am delighted at this as a lot of hard work goes into organising and exhibiting at an event like this.

There were quite a number of beasties I would've loved to have taken home, but home is not a home when they don't have a cage.

I didnt get around to taking photos, but froot did go around and get a few on Saturday. I will post some once I have downloaded them.

Thanks to Charmaine, aka LeglessDragon, who donated R10 from each book sold to the Swaziland Antivenom fund. Her donations alone was R600. Rishaad printed some sareptiles stickers which were sold at R10 each. All proceeds also went to the Anitvenom fund. Thank you Rishaad. I am not sure how many were sold, as there are still quite a few left. We also sold a few calendars of which R10 was put towards the cause as well.

I am still counting the raffle tickets to see how much that brought in, as all profits are also going towards the antivenom fund. I think we should have raised around R1200 in total from the donations, stickers & raffle tickets.

On a negative note, we did have some theft incidences at the expo and quite a few animals were stolen. If you, or someone you know, was guilty of this offence, I am now giving you an opportunity to come clean and contact me at 0833747087. I will not reveal your details, if you ensure the safe return of the stolen animals.

I am however going to be going through the footage off the security cameras and we will be tracking down the culprits who do not come forward. If and when we have identified you, not only will you not be allowed at the SOS² Reptile Expo again, but you will be banned from Emperors Palace as well. I will also distribute photos to other Expo organisers, and to petshops throughout SA. So this is your last chance to come clean and see that the animals are returned to the rightful owners. I don't mind meeting up and returning it on your behalf, but please do return the animals, or suffer the consequences. This will also apply to any other stock which was taken.

Once again, thank you to those who attended and especially for those who came from afar. See you next year!!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Rob » Mon May 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Would it not be beneficial to list the animals taken? Thats really unfortunate, although sadly it is expected.

Well done on a well run expo, You guys really have a good idea of how an expo needs to be run and it showed. I enjoyed floating around and watching people giving and receiving advice, networking, trading, it is healthy for the trade.
I didnt meet too many new people, Im not very good at the meet and greet thing but enjoyed myself nonetheless.

See you all in Durban.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon May 03, 2010 12:33 pm

If and when we have identified you, not only will you not be allowed at the SOS² Reptile Expo again, but you will be banned from Emperors Palace as well.

Surely a charge should be laid against the perpetrators?

I was in and out and did not get much time to meet everyone. As said before, nice to put some new faces to usernames and I would really have liked to have had a chance to sit and kuier for a bit.
It was great to see the guys from Durbs again, hope you all get/got home safely.
This expo does much more for the trade than mere trading, it's a commonpoint in the year where everyone meets everyone and I think that's so important too.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon May 03, 2010 12:39 pm

froot wrote:
If and when we have identified you, not only will you not be allowed at the SOS² Reptile Expo again, but you will be banned from Emperors Palace as well.

Surely a charge should be laid against the perpetrators?

Isn't that a given? lol
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby froot » Mon May 03, 2010 12:43 pm

Good, as long as it's a given. Throw the book at the bastards!
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities