KZN Reptile Keepers braai 3/2010

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: KZN Reptile Keepers braai 3/2010

Postby marc bt » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Ahhhhh i am really really really sad that i missed this braai! :( :( Especially that one of my idols was there in the flesh ! :( Hopefully the next one will be just as successful.
I know this is very early to be speaking of when the next one will be but was there any talk at the meeting about how regular we will be meeting, will it turn out to be a once a month thing?
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Strictly_Snakes » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:10 am

Mr T... shot for posting the pics... I just hope I didn't break your wife's lenses for the Camera :)

Had a blast JP, shot for organizing that braai once again... BV and BB, always a pleasure to see you guys again
Strictly_Snakes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 am

Once again, what an awesome day spent with awesome people. It is one of the very few days in the year that I don't feel stressed. These gatherings are growing bigger and better every time. Thanks to everyone who made it possible and special. Also thanks to Devon, Donald and their crew for driving down from JHB just for the braai.

A few very important issues that concern the hobby and in a few peoples cases their livelihood was discussed. I think that these issues need to be taken very seriously and action taken before it is too late. There are people out there who are fighting very hard to kill the hobby, the industry, and herpetoculture in KZN and we need to stand together in order to fight them back.

Some pics from the day:

And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Strictly_Snakes » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:03 pm

mgiddings wrote:Ah I definitely missed out.

Dean that shirt is killer man :)

My favorite picture has got to be JP and Warwick, proud Bulls supporters, especially JP.

mgiddings.... Thats fighting talk from you, that is
Strictly_Snakes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby John Rees » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:23 pm

And a late thanks from me and my family for a great braai. JP and all the others who organised it, to those who very kindly sponsored the prizes - esp Paul from the Feeder Factory (my daughter can't wait for her pair of corns!!) and to Donald Schultz and his friends for making my kids day (esp signing their T-shirts and the photo), thank you very much. Nice to meet a few more folk from the site too and to see folk from the last the last braai. Till next time - happy herping!
John Rees
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:43 am

Very nice pic of your kiddies, John! You must definitely frame this one!
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:49 am

........ and here is the reason why you need to be a little more formal than just a braai and prize giving group.
This was published on the 17th of December in the Government Gazette.
Dear Stakeholder
Please find attached a letter sent on behalf of The Honourable Premier of the province of KwaZulu-Natal and the Board of Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife with regard to proposed new Procedures and Standard Terms and Conditions for applications and authorisations for keeping animals in captivity in KwaZulu-Natal. The document can be downloaded from our website (www.kznwildlife.com) or emailed to you on request from (kznwildlife@iafrica.com). Hard copies will be made available at Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife Offices in Richards Bay, Congella Durban, and Queen Elizabeth Park, Pietermaritzburg and the Vryheid and Eshowe Public Libraries.
You are invited to submit written comment by 31 January 2011.
Best Wishes
Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife

The timing of this publication is rather strange. I am convinced that this was done to ensure that the minimum number of people see this and even those that do will struggle to get to all their members for consensus about the way forward.

Be aware that at the last meeting I was at the fact that all indigenous reptiles in KZN actually require permits in accordance with the Biodiversity Act was mentioned. Prepare for all eventualities !!!!!! Your biggest problem child when it comes to permits is from the Western Cape and he would love to implement a permit system just so that he can deny everything.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:28 am

At the same time high court papers were issued and served to Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife, the MEC, the Premier, individuals and others....

We are not going down without a battle.

http://www.aiatrust.org.za/legal.php
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby slangman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:40 am

Is it possible for someone to sumarise the happenings for those of us who have been out of the loop for sometime . Are these changes specifically refering to animals that require permits eg the likes of dumerals etc? or is it a step toward licensing all indigineous in KZN ? Are they aimed at the general public or simply institutions like zoos etc .

cheers
Nik
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Slangman nothing has been finalised. We have talks and we arrive at decisions and then a few months later nothing has been implemented and the minutes seem to have been lost. We then have another meeting and different decisions are made and nothing gets implemented. What worries me is that if you miss one meeting and the animal rights people were at that meeting then suddenly they say "All stakeholders were consulted and this was decided". That is why you have to go to each meeting no matter how trivial it seems.

It would seem that all indigenous reptiles will require permits throughout South Africa. There is supposed to be a list of reptiles and amphibians which restricts the import and keeping of certain exotic species in certain provinces. This is more than a year overdue.

Zoos and institutions are usually exempt from these restrictions.

Now KZN want to suddenly tell you what size cage you need for each animal. This is a WELFARE issue and has nothing to do with conservation and falls outside their mandate. Just because the Cape provinces have illegally implemented this (nobody fought it) now they want to apply this in KZN because it is another method to restrict (read deny) a permit. They probably also want to use this to limit (read ban) exotic animals as well. If nobody follows this up then they cannot cry later.

This is all driven by animal rightists who have the ear of certain officials at Ezemvelo KZN wildlife.

The timing of these two pieces of information above seems to be rather strange.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby slangman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:11 pm

thanks for clearing that up for me mate .
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:57 am

http://www.kznwildlife.com/index.php?/News/

Guys and Girls,
Please follow the above link and look under News and Events section. The complete proposed legislation document is available for download and comment.
Comments are urgently required. This proposed legislation will affect the entire country.
Also please join the Association of Reptile Keepers (KZN) Facebook page for updates and information.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/hom ... 62020&ap=1
JP
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:23 pm

Please keep your comments useful and unemotional. Use backed up factual data where you can and impress the effect this legislation will have on your livelihood. Request proof where need be.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby rolandslf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:32 am

JP, I have applied to join the Group.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:02 pm

You have been added Roland.

I have membership forms for anyone interested in joining ARK. pm me with your e mail adress and I will send them to you.

JP
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities