Free State Exotic Pet Legal Help

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Free State Exotic Pet Legal Help

Postby F1refly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:52 pm

Hey guys
I have been trying to figure something out but Nat-Con in my area is of no help.
I would just like to know if you need any permits to transfer Exotic Pets from one Town to another or from Province to Province.
As an example lets say I were to go to Pretoria and buy a Tarantula there. Would I need a permit to bring it back to the Free State or isn't it the same as reptiles? I would just like to know as I am curious.

Moved
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Free State Exotic Pet Legal Help

Postby Groenslang » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi there F1refly, from what I understood when I spoke to Diana Nel from Bloemfontein's Natcon offices, is that you need a import and export permit if it is across provincial boundaries. It is practically never done and even the pet shops here don't do it when they source their animals form Gauteng or Durban. The only point where a import and export permit is really required is if you are shipping indigenous animals, and the only reason they are really required is because in order to apply for an keeping permit, you need the import permit.

So yes, you need an permit, but I don't think it has ever been done efficiently for exotics.
The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Arno Davies
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Free State Exotic Pet Legal Help

Postby F1refly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:50 am

Okay, Now I understand.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities