Cape Town Herpetological Workshop

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Cape Town Herpetological Workshop

Postby Loslappie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Ok Western Cape Guys, here is your Opportunity. The first one was brilliant, If you want the Registration form, E mail Mr Michael Hanson. Use the opportunity to get to know Cape Nature better

Herpetological Workshop
Driftsands Nature Reserve, CapeNature
19th November 2011

The Cape Metro Area of CapeNature is proud to announce its second Herpetological workshop, to be held at 08:30am on 19th November 2011 at the Driftsands Nature Reserve. The focus of this workshop will be on snakes.

By presenting this series of workshops, the Area endeavours to promote the conservation and management of reptiles and amphibians in the Cape Metropole.
The Cape Metro regards this workshop as critically important as it will:
1) Provide clarity and updates on policies with regards to reptiles
2) Provide clarity on administrative requirements in terms of regulations relating to reptiles
3) Create a platform to build capacity through sharing lessons learnt
4) Highlight crucial research being conducted on various species of snakes

Who can attend?
The intended audience for this Workshop includes researchers, snake catchers, persons wanting to get more involved with CapeNature and the Catchers program or anything relating to snakes.

Registration
Attendance is free but delegates are requested to complete the attached registration form and return it to the workshop organiser by fax to 086 576 5103 or email to mhanson@capenature.co.za no later than 14th November 2011. Seats are limited and you are urged to RSVP as soon as possible.

A programme will follow shortly.
For more information, feel free to contact the workshop organiser:

Workshop Organiser
Michael Hanson: E-mail: mhanson@capenature.co.za Cell: 082 058 9108, Tel: 021 483 0156.

We are looking forward to seeing you at the Herpetological Workshop.
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Cape Town Herpetological Workshop

Postby Loslappie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:53 am

Amazing how everyone has their two cents to add whenever theres a wagon passing by. but when presented with an opportunity like the above to actually sit around the table and clear things up with them, the response is lacking... Can you beleive that only 7 people have confirmed attendance.
:shock:
Thats one of the reasons associations doesnt work in the Cape. Too many personal agendas.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:20 am

Also what I think is the hobby hasn't taken lift-off here yet and most that have reptiles have them without permits and are afraid of attending these meetings. I for one would love to be there but its quite far for me and money's tight right now.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

snake kid wrote:most that have reptiles have them without permits and are afraid of attending these meetings. .

Agree with you snake kid however, I would think the people that dont have their permits are the ones that should attend. I have helped people that had animals get permits for their animals, and they couldnt beleive how simple it was to do it the right way. BUT Theres a difference between the former and people that have WC animals, and people that have a total disregard for the law, they are usually the ones afraid of attending these type of events...

After this event We will see who the proactive guys are.. There are way too many reactive people down here.. they the ones that cry wolf and organise a revolt instead of attending events like this..
Weve tried to get Mr Stuart Gordon to attend, and then Stuart Gordons Spokesperson Shaun Macleod, responded and went all Julius Malema on me, typically screaming and ranting about being provoked.

So.. I will see who attends.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dispholidus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Would love to attend. Driftsands are a bit far off from my place though. I dont have transport. If someone can offer transport I will definately be there. Have a question or six about permits at the moment.
Snakes caring for me:

0.1 Boaedon capensis (Brown house snake)
1.0 Lycodonomorphus inornatus (Olive ground snake)
1.0 Pseudaspis cana (Mole snake)
1.1 Dispholidus typus (Boomslang)
0.1 Naja annulifera (Snouted cobra)
Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Well I would love to attend. But there are a number of reasons that might prevent me.
1. I am writing my end of year exams.
2. I highly doubt that anyone would take me seriously.(I am 14)
3. I would not be able to keep in the "kind words" I would like to tell cape nature.( Been waiting for 3 months of a permit for 2 CB BHS. They don't reply to my emails. And I can't expand my collection till I sort permits out.)
4. If I was to go it would cost quite a bit to drive there. +- 400km there and then I still need to come back!

Maybe if we could sort all of the problems out, I might be able to attend. And might be able to help some guys from my area with a ride.

Regards
Justin
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:17 am

kfc223 wrote:I would not be able to keep in the "kind words" I would like to tell cape nature.( Been waiting for 3 months of a permit for 2 CB BHS.

Who have you been speaking to at Cape nature? also what was your process when you applied for the permits, and include timelines, and you can PM or post all the details and I will ask them whats the problem.
Why cant you expand your collection?
I cant understand how people have a problem with Cape Nature and permits.. I dont, even some of the other guys have seen an improvement in turnaround times etc.

Justin, trust me, your "few kind words" will not do do you any good for future relations. Rather get this right and build up a relationship. You still have a long way to go in understanding what frustrations are.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:23 am

Dispholidus wrote:Have a question or six about permits at the moment.

Have you e mailed or called them? if you like send me the details only if youve explored any other avenue of communication.
Call Michael, make an appointment, go and see him. He is not a monster.
Since Ive been asking them about anything Im not sure about, Ive actually realised permits are not that difficult to get right.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glasbyb » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:50 am

These workshops are beneficial on so many levels:
1. Get to know the Capenature staff, it is much easier talking to someone if you have met them in person.
2. Meet other roleplayers in the industry.
3. Meet like minded (we hope) individuals.
4. Give your input into the authorities for inclusion when drafting new ordinances. You can not bash the system if you have not attempted to give constructive input.
5. Just have a laugh and learn.

This time round I will do my best to not have a concussion.
"A field without a snake is like a kiss without a squeeze"
glasbyb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:57 am

glasbyb wrote:These workshops are beneficial on so many levels:
1. Get to know the Capenature staff, it is much easier talking to someone if you have met them in person.
2. Meet other roleplayers in the industry.
3. Meet like minded (we hope) individuals.
4. Give your input into the authorities for inclusion when drafting new ordinances. You can not bash the system if you have not attempted to give constructive input.
5. Just have a laugh and learn.

This time round I will do my best to not have a concussion.

Ditto Brett! couldnt have said it better! look forward to seeing you there!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:15 pm

I have sent my application to an email address they told me to.(Can't remember now)
I can't expand my collection, because I happen to have a mother that dose not want to be fined for the snakes that we are trying to get permits for. Plus it just makes sense just to sort out permits before getting anything new.
Can you assure me that I will be taken seriously? I may be 14 but I'm not an idiot nor a little boy.

Justin
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamcode » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:55 pm

I have most certainly had my share of headaches with Cape Nature, but can confirm that getting uptight won’t get you anywhere. I had to decide to be friendly, thorough and persistent, despite our history and have witnessed a considerable improvement in their response and attitude over time. It makes sense to try and work together to ensure the future of our hobby. It will be much easier for them to lean towards "anti-reptile-hobby" agendas if they have no relationship with us.
chamcode
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:06 am

CapeNature did not take to this “workshop” idea willingly. This "workshop" is an attempt to engage public participation as a process of mutual arrangement.
This being said we should take this opportunity to evaluate and agree to a workable standard and not just “rubber stamp” existing nuisance procedures.
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:00 pm

Andrew wrote:CapeNature did not take to this “workshop” idea willingly. This "workshop" is an attempt to engage public participation as a process of mutual arrangement.
This being said we should take this opportunity to evaluate and agree to a workable standard and not just “rubber stamp” existing nuisance procedures.

Andrew what the hell does that mean. Are you saying that I'm wasting my time going there. You sound like a politician.

chamcode wrote:I have most certainly had my share of headaches with Cape Nature, but can confirm that getting uptight won’t get you anywhere. I had to decide to be friendly, thorough and persistent, despite our history and have witnessed a considerable improvement in their response and attitude over time. It makes sense to try and work together to ensure the future of our hobby. It will be much easier for them to lean towards "anti-reptile-hobby" agendas if they have no relationship with us.

I agree 100%. I also think that if they don't want to give you permits that they won't want to fine you for keeping them illegally. 100%
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:15 pm

it_bit_me wrote: ...Are you saying that I'm wasting my time going there.

If we attend this workshop just so we can pat each other on our backs then yes we are wasting our time.
CapeNature has admitted no having a standard application procedure in place for attaining a Catch & Release Rehabilitation permit.

No written standard means potential discrimination, prejudice and bias treatment on the whim of the individual who process your application.
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities