Cape Town Herpetological Workshop

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: Cape Town Herpetological Workshop

Postby Pieter89 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:49 am

I'd also like to know what happened with the meeting - could not be there because of end-of-year exams.

Can someone please give an e-mail address or number to call for permit application. Because I've e-mailed quite a few people from Cape Nature, never with a reply. I'd like to do things legally, but do not have time to spend hours on unnecessary and unproductive communication...
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:51 am

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:07 am

The Workshop went well.
Yes once all the red tape has been sorted The Cape will be in for some nice surprises.
Specifically with regards to Cage Sizing issues, what animals we can keep and also with the whole permit system

This is a slow process so dont go jumping the gun on what you heard and go and get your iguana etc. like so many people did a year or two ago with Beardies...
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:16 am

Loslappie wrote:The Workshop went well.
Yes once all the red tape has been sorted The Cape will be in for some nice surprises.
Specifically with regards to Cage Sizing issues, what animals we can keep and also with the whole permit system

This is a slow process so dont go jumping the gun on what you heard and go and get your iguana etc. like so many people did a year or two ago with Beardies...

Thanks Loslappie.

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:53 am

We have argued the point that the caging size is a problem in some cases can be detrimental to the health of the animal.
A document has been drafted and discussed a few years ago, and really makes sense. I will try and get that formula.

It sees to the basic needs and welfare of the animal.
The whole CAtch and release application was explained as well, and you had the opportunity to apply there for the permit. Im sure those that were there were very glad they went.
I will provide a bit more feedback, next week. But if all goes according to what was discussed, we will be happy and also clear guidelines as to what we can and cannot keep.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andrew » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Loslappie wrote:...The whole CAtch and release application was explained as well, and you had the opportunity to apply there for the permit....

No the ‘whole’ catch & release was not explained. The special Conditions was not discussed either but dictated as it stood in the ‘book’. These bureaucratic “requirements” are only used selectively as they are not realistic.
The National Animal Welfare Act replaces a provincial Catch & Release permit if and when in the event of an animal emergency.
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:24 am

I dont understand why they make a catch and release so difficult to get. In KZN you dont need one and they dont keep that many of the animals they catch in any case.

In Gauteng we were allowed to apply to keep any specific specimens caught on a catching permit if required and I think in the last 4 years there was not a single reptile that anybody applied to keep. This is saying a lot when we have up to 10 call outs a day in peak season and nothing is retained. I think the Cape should really re-assess their resistance to issuing the permits. We have had two amnesty periods here and the numbers of reptiles which required permits were so few it was not even deemed a success. North - West did it a few years ago and I think there were 5 applications in the entire province.

Releasing the reptiles is possibly not the best conservation policy either unless the numbers are small and the sites are close to where the capture took place and is the right habitat.

The whole issue of species out of their natural range also becomes an issue. Here there is no question about it that it either gets put on permit or donated to an institute. Even snakes that we can see are different are retained. Yellow puff adders being taken out from under a car that just drove up from the Cape is obviously not going to be released.

I just wish the authorities would realise that they are policing the people who want to be policed and who actually need help. They are not policing the people who are raping pristine habitats which is where the problem lies. The market for brown Cape cobras does not exist so why give the guys removing these specimens so much uphill?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby snake kid » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi I would like to know if you you might have mentioned Tarantulas and the possibility of keeping them?
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:00 am

Shaun you were there, why did you not say something then? you had all the opportunity to.
I cant understand all the ranting on forums, when you had the opportunity, you did not have much to say, and here you are..once again...

In my opinion I thought it was well explained,I know exactly what to do.
The special conditions are, well special conditions.... surely there could be a million and one conditions, and each one cannot be listed.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:15 am

Bushviper wrote:I dont understand why they make a catch and release so difficult to get. In KZN you dont need one and they dont keep that many of the animals they catch in any case.

In Gauteng we were allowed to apply to keep any specific specimens caught on a catching permit if required and I think in the last 4 years there was not a single reptile that anybody applied to keep. This is saying a lot when we have up to 10 call outs a day in peak season and nothing is retained. I think the Cape should really re-assess their resistance to issuing the permits. We have had two amnesty periods here and the numbers of reptiles which required permits were so few it was not even deemed a success. North - West did it a few years ago and I think there were 5 applications in the entire province.

Releasing the reptiles is possibly not the best conservation policy either unless the numbers are small and the sites are close to where the capture took place and is the right habitat.

The whole issue of species out of their natural range also becomes an issue. Here there is no question about it that it either gets put on permit or donated to an institute. Even snakes that we can see are different are retained. Yellow puff adders being taken out from under a car that just drove up from the Cape is obviously not going to be released.

I just wish the authorities would realise that they are policing the people who want to be policed and who actually need help. They are not policing the people who are raping pristine habitats which is where the problem lies. The market for brown Cape cobras does not exist so why give the guys removing these specimens so much uphill?

Bushviper the possibilty of keeping the animals has been discussed at the previous workshop, and it is possible to apply to keep that animal.
They will issue you with a catch and release permit and raised the issue about permits taking long etc.. Ive applied at the workshop, and will keep you up to date. on how it goes.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Elroy there was no time to discuss the "special" conditions. I had requested this topic but the conditions were read through alowing very little time to question.
Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools and accepted by idiots.
Shaun
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Shaun wrote:Elroy there was no time to discuss the "special" conditions. I had requested this topic but the conditions were read through alowing very little time to question.

Is Shaun and Andrew finally the same person?

H

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:33 pm

Shame nvlooi are you also Elroy or is his imagination bothering you too? HaHa

Rather let's just stick to the thread topic.
Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools and accepted by idiots.
Shaun
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:25 am

Shaun wrote:Shame nvlooi are you also Elroy or is his imagination bothering you too? HaHa

Rather let's just stick to the thread topic.

I wish I can take photos like nvlooi... sadly not all of us has the luxury of multiple personalities.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glasbyb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:09 am

@Andrew- Which National animal welfare act are you referring to? The Animals Protection Act no71 of 1962 does not take precedence over Nature conservation ordinances unless the animal has been severely injured, in that case a police officer as defined under the act may destroy the animal with the support of two people of sound mind. Therefore I am a little confused as to how the act would have anything to do with catch and release.
"A field without a snake is like a kiss without a squeeze"
glasbyb
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities