Cape Town Herpetological Workshop

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: Cape Town Herpetological Workshop

Postby shadowfoot » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Will this workshop be available again this year? Would love to attend and maybe some of the people from George, Mosselbay, Oudtshoorn and Knysna can all travel together(not that many I would guess)?
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:01 am

Hi

Very interested in this workshop!

Hope it will take place again this year.
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glasbyb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:40 am

Hi All

This was posted on another website by Shaun Macleod:
by glasbyb »
@Andrew- Which National animal welfare act are you referring to? The Animals Protection Act no71 of 1962 does not take precedence over Nature conservation ordinances unless the animal has been severely injured, in that case a police officer as defined under the act may destroy the animal with the support of two people of sound mind. Therefore I am a little confused as to how the act would have anything to do with catch and release.

Brett Glasby in answer to your communication with Andrew. You work at the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and need the permission of the animal owner or a magistrate’s court order to remove any animal without exceptions.
Any animal exposed to ill-treatment, neglect or unnecessary fears are protected by The Animals Protection Act no71 of 1962. It is thus illegal for anyone causing intentional harm to any class, species or variety of animal.
Any individual refusing or neglecting to report or actively assist any animal in need against potential fear or harm would then be committing a criminal offence.
A wild animal does not have an owner per say but anyone with the knowledge experience to rescue an animal in need would be considered as guilty as the abuser if he or she ignores to act to prevent animal abuse.
Do you agree or not?

I am not sure why the post needed to jump forums but felt it best to bring it back to the original forum.

Shaun is correct in the fact that I am the Wildlife Unit Manager for the Cape of Good Hope SPCA. To answer the post:
1. In extreme cases we may remove without permission or court order by arresting the offender.(APA 71 of '62 sec. 8.1 b)
2. In the case of an animal which is so severely injured or diseased that we believe it in the best interest of the animal to be euthenaised we may do so without the owners permission so long as we have the support of a veterinarian or two adults of sound mind.(APA 71 of '62 sec. 5)
3. The definition of owner under the APA 71 of '62 is "in relation to an animal, includes any person having the possession, charge, custody or control of that animal" Therefore a captive wild animal is covered. Any person who does anything to hurt a wild animal would have taken ownership of the animal and be liable under the Act.
4. If a member of public believes that a wild animal is being abused or neglected they should report it to the authorities and let them deal with the situation. When a member of the public takes the law into their hands and removes an animal from the original owner the situation can get very sticky, in these events it is very likely that the animal will need to be returned to the original owner and the member of public could face charges if they had not taken reasonable precautions to rectify the animals health concerns.
For those of you interested in this Act here is a link to follow:
http://www.htcs.co.za/pdf/law_security_training_papa_1962.pdf
"A field without a snake is like a kiss without a squeeze"
glasbyb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andrew » Mon May 28, 2012 8:27 pm

Brett as far as I understand this national animal welfare act was not created exclusive for the SPCA. It can be enforced by anyone being an individual or an organization.
If the animal is found to be in distress or in need of rescue the Act is by rights there to assist the animal’s welfare first and foremost.
I also believe that a donation operated SPCA uniform does not give the wearer additional privileges over anyone.
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glasbyb » Tue May 29, 2012 7:48 am

Hi Andrew
The Act was not written exclusively for the SPCA, but in order to be recognized as a police officer in terms of the Act in sec 8 it states that you need to be an officer for any society for the prevention of cruelty to animals and authorized by writing under the hand of the magistrate of a district.
So Andrew to answer you, an individual may not enforce the act only someone who wears a donated uniform and has gone through the required training and qualifications. From your answers I can deduce that you are utilizing here-say and have never read the Act, if you have read it then you never understood it.
And finally, your last comment seems rather odd.
"A field without a snake is like a kiss without a squeeze"
glasbyb
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities