Cape Town Herpetological Workshop

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: Cape Town Herpetological Workshop

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Andrew wrote:
it_bit_me wrote: ...Are you saying that I'm wasting my time going there.

If we attend this workshop just so we can pat each other on our backs then yes we are wasting our time.
CapeNature has admitted no having a standard application procedure in place for attaining a Catch & Release Rehabilitation permit.

No written standard means potential discrimination, prejudice and bias treatment on the whim of the individual who process your application.

That's the same thing as letting your neighbour pick whether you can keep snakes. Seems like Cape Nature should rather take reptiles of their list of animals they claim ownership off.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:04 am

Ah the good old argument involving cape nature!

Very entertaining! But seriously I have had enough of CapeNature. I sent my permit application through again on monday and guess what???

No response!!!! I have taken enough of this cr@p. I don't get it... The guys that are abusing, exploiting and destroying our native wildlife by taking reptiles from their habitats, they get away with this!!! Look at all the bearded dragons for sale on gumtree Cape Town! I thought that they were blacklisted! Its all in the open! And the people that have CB reptiles can't even get permits for their reptiles! All my stuff is CB, I have transport permits and everything! I paid the R80 for the permit and I have got nothing for my R80!

This is something I don't need! This is why reptiles are not as popular as in Gauteng or KZN. Because of permits! I am getting to the stage where I say I have tried if they are to lazy to process my permit than let it be. That's it! Then I say I have tried, I'm waiting for them and apply for permits but don't bother if they don't respond. Because I TRIED!!! My female bhs is gravid and she is one of the 2 I having waiting for a permit for. I did not pair her with my male! She was gravid when I got her! Now with my understanding all these hatchlings will be illegal because she dose not have a permit yet!(Remember I have sent my application 3 times already) now what do I do? Throw the eggs in the rubbish? That's like killing the baby snakes. Or what use the incubator I build and have illegal snakes?

I am on the verge of giving up.

All the CapeNatue propaganda BS saying its easy for everyone. What about me??? I am sure that I am not alone.

I hope that no one is offended by this. Just venting some anger out. And if you were offended I am sorry. Have a nice day.

PS: I typed all this with my BlackBerry!

Regards
Justin
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nivea » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:08 am

Hi Justin.

If you have transport permits to your name and property and have applied for a captivity permit then the snakes are legal. The way the system works. When you buy your first snake/s, you get a transport permit from the seller which legalizes the transfer of ownership, and then you apply for a captivity permit with that transport permit. The application should be sent to Cape Nature head office, CN head office will then send the application to the nearest regional office. It could take them anywhere up to 6 months to process the application. It does not mean that your snakes are now illegal. All you have to do is keep your proof of payment and proof that you have emailed the Captivity permit application and you will be fine. You can also continue buying snakes during this period, all you have to do is keep all the transport permits that you receive with the new snakes and when CN come to inspect for your captivity permit you present those transport permits and the CN officer will include it into his report. When your Captivity permit is issued all snakes on your property with transport permits at the time of inspection will be included on the permit.

When your brown house lays eggs put them into the incubator, when CN come to inspect you will need to declare the eggs and that will be included into the report, all babies will be legal once they hatch.

If you have any other question please voice them, someone should be able to answer it. I have found over the years that there are guys who sell snakes to people but never explain how the permit system works which leads to this sort of confusion.

Thanks.
Nivea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Andrew wrote:
it_bit_me wrote: ...Are you saying that I'm wasting my time going there.

If we attend this workshop just so we can pat each other on our backs then yes we are wasting our time.
CapeNature has admitted no having a standard application procedure in place for attaining a Catch & Release Rehabilitation permit.

No written standard means potential discrimination, prejudice and bias treatment on the whim of the individual who process your application.

They do have a standard application process for Catch and release..its been the same one for 3 years...

Justin.. if this is how you communicate with Cape Nature (judging by the tone of your previous posts) nobody will ever take you seriously.. it will be just disrespectful..

As many has said, adjust your tone and phone them..

From when we handed in the Captivity permit application to Cape Nature to the inspection it took 3 months.. remember they dont just do snakes.. and then it could take another 1-3 months to get the actual captivity permit.

If you have all the transport permits.. the snakes are not illegal, and you cannot be fined
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:49 pm

Nivea wrote: I have found over the years that there are guys who sell snakes to people but never explain how the permit system works which leads to this sort of confusion

Justin
Listen to Niveas advice.. and relax, if you are this aggressive in your approach at your age, nobody will take you serious..
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks guys.

It was not aggression but more like frustration and irritation. Now all I have to do is convince my mom.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andrew » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:40 pm

Loslappie wrote: They do have a standard application process for Catch and release..its been the same one for 3 years...

Request CapeNature management to supply you with a written standard procedure for an application for a Catch & Release Rehabilitation permit. You will be request to make telephonic contact as no such written procedure exists.
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:07 am

Andrew wrote:
Loslappie wrote: They do have a standard application process for Catch and release..its been the same one for 3 years...

Request CapeNature management to supply you with a written standard procedure for an application for a Catch & Release Rehabilitation permit. You will be request to make telephonic contact as no such written procedure exists.

Strange, cos the procedures are the same every year. I will ask at the Workshop. Will you be coming?
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andrew » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:41 am

Loslappie wrote: Strange, cos the procedures are the same every year. I will ask at the Workshop. Will you be coming?

Ask for this criteria to be emailed to you as a written procedure as this is what governs a standard. When you are told that no such standard exists then by all means inquire about the reasons why at the workshop.
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:49 am

Hey guess what? We got a little crew coming up from Oudtshoorn where still sorting out who's coming and who's not, so do we need to make reservations or how does this work?
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamcode » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 am

Just a note on written procedure: I have also had issues with this - getting telephonic instruction from Cape Nature on what to submit with an application for an import permit, then going and doing what they instructed. After some time with no reply, I phoned to find out what was causing the delay and was told that my application was incomplete. I reminded them that I did what they instructed, but they insisted that I supply them with new, additional info. I asked them to confirm their request via e-mail. Never got that e-mail. This went on, and their requirements changed again. Needless to say, I could eventually not get the permit I applied for. Our relationship has improved, but as I said, only after experiencing much frustration in trying to do the right thing and finding out how to go about it... and there are still minor eyebrow-raisers ;)
chamcode
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Andrew wrote:
Loslappie wrote: Strange, cos the procedures are the same every year. I will ask at the Workshop. Will you be coming?

Ask for this criteria to be emailed to you as a written procedure as this is what governs a standard. When you are told that no such standard exists then by all means inquire about the reasons why at the workshop.

"Andrew" Will you be coming?
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Feederwarehouse » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:40 pm

Anyone need a lift from durbanville or surrounding area or anyone I can get a lift with?
Being a woman I'm a little nervous to drive out there on my own but really want to attend so before I rsvp I would like to have a travelling companion. Please pm me.
1.1.0 Corn snakes (Elaphe guttata)
2.0.1 Crested gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)
Feederwarehouse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:28 pm

Feederwarehouse wrote:Anyone need a lift from durbanville ....

Will PM ;)
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:16 am

I wish i could attend this meeting.

Can we get some follow up on what happened?
Ive heard several good things came from the meeting!

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities