Permits in Gauteng??

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Permits in Gauteng??

Postby Russell » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:00 am

I had an enquiry from someone in PE about purchasing Ball Pythons from me, but requested a copy of my Captivity / Holding Permit.
Am I right in saying that I don’t need a Captivity / Holding Permit for Ball Pythons if I live in Gauteng? :smt017
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Permits in Gauteng??

Postby Sico » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Yes. for Gauteng, if it is indigenous you need a permit, if it is exotic you don't. To transport them across provincial boundaries you are supposed to regardless of what they are, as i understand it.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Russell » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Thank you for your reply Sico :D

I won't be physically transporting the snakes across provincial borders myself, as I plan on flying the down to PE via BidAir Services – would I still require a Transport permit?
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Technically yes, but if Bidair are happy to to it without them, and the buyer is happy to do it without them, why mess with something that isn't broken? I have a feeling though, that EC province might want the transport permits in order to issue the ownership permits, if they are a requirement in EC for ball pythons...
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Very simple solution get seller to fax buyer a letter with intent to sell him a ball python, include all sellers details: Initials, Surname, ID and physical as well as buyers details same as above. The letter must be signed by seller with contact numbers on this letter.

Buyer: go into your conservation office supply them this letter, they will give you a import/transport permit into The Eastern Cape. Arrange your flights on this permit, then this reptile will be legally imported into the Eastern Cape...once you have recieved this reptile go back to Conservation and they will give you a captivity permit which is valid for 2 years, these Ordinace Permits are free in the Eastern Cape...Good Luck
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Russell » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:20 am

Thank you very much Sico and Sly for your comments and advice. :D
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities