NATCON and my beardie

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: NATCON and my beardie

Postby Daniellouw » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:08 am

Always better to do the right thing but this one leaves a bit of a bad taste ... The objective might be right but the method? Should we not encourage people who try to do the right thing or demotivate them to such an extend that the wrong thing sounds more and more like the right thing?
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:16 am

Agreed, starting to wonder if it really was the "right thing to do"
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:22 am

All this will accomplish is getting rid of the animals that are known about. There are far more that aren’t known about. The permit system is counterproductive currently; all it does is force the reptile trade underground. Trying to force people to do what you want without even considering what they want/need is just providing a very fertile climate for a healthy underground trade. You can’t monitor what you don’t know about and the more you alienate honest reptile keepers the less cooperation and information you’re going to get. All this post has accomplished is highlighted to everyone who read it that conservation is not prepared to work with us, so why should we work with them? Exactly the same as the permit fee increase post of Bjorn’s!!
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:31 am

Well if the permit was issued with those conditions then there is nothing you can do about it. Sorry Carla either move or give up your Beardie. You may not release it as this would be cruel and against the law.

In future this will not encourage anybody to comply with the laws if they are seen as unjust and unreasonable. How one Beardie is going to wipe out the entire Agama population is beyond me. Just for the record I would love to know how many people have applied for permits for Bearded dragons in the province.

I would like to know exactly how this research was done on which the decision to outlaw Beardies was taken. The biodiversity act is fairly explicit on this process which looks to have been ignored.

Carla buy cats and goats as pets in future. If they escape it is not your problem and you can just buy more knowing that your escaped pets will survive very well in the surrounding areas. This is also perfectly legal and no pesky permits to worry about.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Daniellouw » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:38 am

CarlaSmit87, it was the right thing to do. At the end of the day (as the politicians like to say) you have to sleep with a clear conscience.
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:44 am

Lets hope for the appeal process and see if the authorities are going to be reasonable and want to generate a partnership with the reptile keepers.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:07 pm

To answer Loslappie, I was allowed to keep them or to sell outside of the Western Cape but I like them to much to part with them. They are not allowed to be bred etc Not really a possibility seeming I have two girls.

Last time I was honest about a permit mistake and came forward I was fined so I must agree it's not fair at times. Reptiles are my lively hood so I stick to the rules but if I were the average keeper I might just have gone underground. There seems to be very little middle ground. If someone wont work with me or hear me out why should I bother to do any different for them. We are not asking for short cuts are laws to be broken. If a ruling can be made overnight without public participation then it can also be amended.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:32 pm

I think this issue will probably fade away so I'll say a few things before the topic disappears.

I don't know all the details of why an animal gets blacklisted but it feels like it is an backseat approach, kinda like saying "we did all we could from here on we only have to fine them". Somewhere along the line someone will realise that beardies will be around till we move to Mars.

There are many options to curb it but they are already in place. If they do not deter the magistrate from keeping Bradypodion nor the zookeepers son from keeping bearded dragons go back to having public participation and use the permit system. No investigation is needed to know that you have given more denials than fines for this species and it is all cause of the approach used. It is a win win situation from all points of view.

For every Carla there is 20 more educated reptile lovers. Something tells me you need 50 people on permit more than you need 1000 uneducated keepers.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:15 am

Morning all

I'm a very happy lady! Natcon NC himself came to visit me yesterday to give me the great news that I may keep my beardie on a few conditions e.g not breeding her, selling her etc. But I don't have a problem with that.
Also quite interesting that a link to the threads that discussed this subject were provided to the people who made the decision so I also have to thank you guys for all giving a view from our side as the reptile keepers regarding Natcon laws.

Regards
Happy lady thats keeping her beardie :D
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:03 am

I’m so glad to hear this! I had a suspicion that this may be the case as I know the guys in NC Nature Conservation are trying to work with the reptile community. Guys (Nature Con NC) your help is appreciated!!
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Davidc » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:40 am

Nice outcome. Good on NATCON for coming up with a workable solution. Congrats Carla
Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Mojave het Orange Ghost
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic
1-3-0 Pastel
0-1-0 Fire
GTP's
1-1-0
Davidc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:30 am

Awesome news! And such a cute beardie too:)
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Daniellouw » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:04 am

Great news!! This is a great outcome! By going through the right channels did you not only get to keep your beardy but I think you also made the powers to be think a bit... and that is a victory in itself!! Congratulations! And thank you, you might have also restorred some faith!
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 am

Congratulations! And good that Natcon worked out a solution!
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:32 am

You must be really relieved and happy. It is never easy for us to part with our animals for whatever reason.
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities