searching for "Snake Safari" in SA...?

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

searching for "Snake Safari" in SA...?

Postby sekteur-83 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Hello Guyz & Girlz,

I'm living in south of France, and I wish to visit south africa in the beginning of may... I don't know a lot about south africa, but I would discover your country through herping with an association, or making a kind of "snake safari"... (I'm not very interested in the usual african safari for watching lions, zebras, etc...)

So, I tried to find something on google, but it doesn't exist & I try to prepare my travel as less expensive... ;)

Perhaps do you know some association or "tour operator" especiallised in herping in SA... or perhaps someone who could host me for 1 week and help me to discover your reptiles in their natural environnment...

So, tell me what you got as informations & you can contact me on my email : sekteur-83@hotmail.fr

Thanks a lot for any informations... ;)

Chris.
sekteur-83
SA Reptiles Member

Re: searching for "Snake Safari" in SA...?

Postby Sfourie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:10 pm

I have got just the thing you’re looking for. A very knowledgeable authority on snakes in South Africa; Mike Perry has a safari called Herping Safaris. Looks like a lot of fun but my own finances are too limited too be able too give you personal experience information.

Visit his website African Reptiles and Venom; www.africanreptiles-venom.co.za or email him on mike@africanreptiles-venom.co.za

Looks like the next date is 10th - 19th April and there is only 6 places left.

Do not expect to get a response soon, he is often out of the country busy giving courses. His wife might be able to help you though.

If you do go, please remember to post some pictures of the safari.

Regards

Stefan
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cronje Rademan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:44 pm

Hi Sekteur-83
I don't know if you maybe want to do volunteering work with reptiles here in South Africa? Go check out http://www.khamai.co.za/Volunteers.html if you are interested.
Cronje Rademan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sekteur-83 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Cronje Rademan wrote:Hi Sekteur-83
I don't know if you maybe want to do volunteering work with reptiles here in South Africa? Go check out http://www.khamai.co.za/Volunteers.html if you are interested.

WOW !!! This is more than interesting... but perhaps I become to old for this (47yo.) ???
But it must be the most interesting way for travelling as I want : not too expensive, ecologic & natural...& doing something interesting with & for snakes... :smt007

I think I'm gonna take contact with them, but I will travel in november or december (because the winter is slowly beginning in SA...)

Thanks a lot for this link !!! ;)

Chris.
sekteur-83
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cronje Rademan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi Chris (sekteur-83)
You are never too old to learn, that area where they are situated are plenty of reptiles and you will have plenty opportunity to see them and work with them in the wild.
Regards
Cronje
Cronje Rademan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Don't Donald Schultz and JP Wittstock organise that mamba tagging programme at that fancy lodge that us ZAR folks can't afford?

I think that would be an aweosome experience, anuone have any details?
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:31 am

Cronje Rademan wrote:Hi Sekteur-83

Sorry if I get this wrong but you want me to pay R9000 a month to work for you? Seriously?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby sekteur-83 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Bushviper wrote:
Sorry if I get this wrong but you want me to pay R9000 a month to work for you? Seriously?

Yeah, seems true, but what I saw on the site from Khamai :
"Please note that revenue generated from volunteering at Khamai is used to covour costs of the placements. Any extra left over money is utilised at Khamai to improve the centre's facilities, for research projects and to purchase equipment for the work done at Khamai."

This is not so "disturbing" for me... I saw the prices for a Herping safari (by Mike for instance) & it's very very expensive for me ($400/day/person)...
& not really in my budget :(
I prefer to pay R350 for a day (if I'm looking for 15 days) & have a real work with reptiles in a country I want to discover... (This means accomodation & meals too, so it's not expensive !!!) ;)

Perhaps for people living in SA (and who see snakes quite everyday), it must be expensive... But for someone like me who lives about 15000km. from SA (around 20 hours travel & flight) and who's looking for some interesting & ecological experiences (far away from the common "tourist safari"...), it's a very good opportunity !!! ;)

I have send a mail to Khamaï & I'm waiting for more news... if you know some people working with them, can u please give them my email for a first contact & for planning my travel in november or beginning december :
sekteur-83@hotmail.fr

Thanks a lot for infos ;)

Chris.
http://www.jurassik-var.com
sekteur-83
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:19 pm

I guess that makes sense. Hope you get in and have lots of fun. Its a good time of the year to be in that area. You will be very busy.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Warren Klein » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:27 pm

Sekteur-83, I use to work at Khamai some years ago and I can vouch that volunteering there will give you an excellent hands on experience working with South African herps in an area rich in biodiversity. If you have a passion for herps and are willing to get your hands dirty, you will surely have a great experience at Khamai. Don't worry about your age either, you would not be the oldest volunteer they have had before. Best of Luck.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sekteur-83 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Herphabitat wrote:Sekteur-83, I use to work at Khamai some years ago and I can vouch that volunteering there will give you an excellent hands on experience working with South African herps in an area rich in biodiversity. If you have a passion for herps and are willing to get your hands dirty, you will surely have a great experience at Khamai. Don't worry about your age either, you would not be the oldest volunteer they have had before. Best of Luck.

Thanks a lot ;)

I already had send them a mail (via their internet site), but this morning send them a mail directly on their mailbox...
Hope I get some news soon, because I've a lot to prepare for such a travel... (passport, reserving flights, and so on...) ;)
sekteur-83
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities