Establishing Cape Reptile Club/Society

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Establishing Cape Reptile Club/Society

Postby Pieter89 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi All

In the light of recently dissatisfaction regarding Cape Nature Permits and procedures I am realising that there is need for a non-profit organisation to act on behalf of its members regarding disputes with Cape Nature. There is also the need for a club to address any concerns regarding general reptile keeping (and for fun and games once all the important stuff gets sorted out). I think it is past the point where we can only have discussions, but think that a formal organisation (that could, for instance, write letters and act on behalf of its members) could be beneficial as well.

Firstly - I don't want to step on the toes of any other organisation that currently exists - so if any such organisation exists please contact me. I'll rather help such an organisation then. I do know of the Cape Reptile Institute, but as far as I know the institute mostly focuses on research and is not open for everyone to join? This I am planning is not a research organisation and membership will be open to anyone interested in reptiles/ambiphibians/invertebrates.

Secondly - the board of the organisation will be open for election after it is established (or before), but as a final year law student I currently have the contacts and hopefully the skills to get the organisation off the ground (registered as non-profit Company under new Companies Act etc.) I may need someone with more contacts in the Reptile Industry to help me though.

So - please comment on whether you guys think this is a good idea? Any criticism is very welcome :) - I am by no means an expert on this, I just think this makes logical sense? If the comments are relatively positive I will start setting up an e-mail address and do some more marketing.
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Establishing Cape Reptile Club/Society

Postby shadowfoot » Fri May 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Problem is getting enough members and being recognised.
You can count me in if you ever start this up.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:37 pm

You are what we need!

But we can't make it just a Cape Town association. We need to include the whole province! There are a couple of keepers in the garden route and the klein karoo. So I don't want all the get togethers in CT. What about having "chapters" in the different parts of the western cape? Like a chapter for the garden route and the klein karoo, and have a chapter for each area in the western cape where there are keepers?

You get the idea?

I'm in for it then. Just tell me where to sign up.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:59 pm

I believe making it well organised and running it well should get members and get us recognised. Will definitely include at least the entire Western Cape! I like the idea about chapters, wherever there is enough members a chapter can be set up.

I also think there might be some interesting politics between reptile keepers in the Western Province (not saying its true, but this is from what I could pick up), but its time grudges gets put aside and to get everyone focused on one goal - to make the reptile trade fair. Personal grudges will not be tolerated in the association and can be dealt with outside this body. My goal will be to get everyone involved, personal issues aside. (just saying ;) )
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AneryCobra » Fri May 04, 2012 4:12 pm

This sounds like a great idea! You can count me in if it happens.
Kyle
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
1.0.0 Honduran Milk Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

"I'm not about to go out and buy a snake for a pet. I mean, I may have faced a few fears but I'm not insane."
-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:06 pm

Glad you like the idea!

Where can I sign up? What are you thinking its going to cost?
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:47 pm

O.k. Please send me an e-mail at caperep@gmail.com if you want to be a member/take part/help. I'll decide about the cost later - basically we'll just need to cover expenses, so it will be something decided at the first meeting.
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities