Permit problems in Limpopo

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Permit problems in Limpopo

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:28 pm

I received the wonderful news yesterday that unless I want to become a registered breeder or use an animal for exhibitional or educational purposes, the chances of being granted a permit are next to nothing. I would like to buy a female Lamprophis aurora that is on permit in Gauteng. I spoke to a guy at Nature Conservation and he said that I should write a short letter which he could use to take it further and see if he would be able to help me. Here is the letter, please let me know if you guys think it is alright and feel free to suggest improvements. Thanks.

Dear Mr. Wiggins,

I herewith wish to declare my intentions of applying for a transport and keeping permit for a female Aurora house snake (Lamprophis aurora).

I have had a love for reptiles since a very young age. I am very passionate about them and find them very interesting. I would like to keep the species mentioned above because they are such a beautiful animal. They are very secretive and not a great deal is known regarding their behaviour, which I would hope to observe and record in captivity.

The animal that I am interested in is on permit in the Gauteng Province and was bred and hatched in captivity. I understand that if the department grants me the permits, they would have to do so for everyone, but I believe that it can foster a much better relationship with those involved in the herpetological hobby. Firstly, if an animal is on permit and especially if it was bred and born/hatched in captivity I fail to see reasonable grounds for not allowing them to be brought into the province, provided that it is housed in suitable conditions and properly cared for. This has no impact whatsoever on the wild populations of a species if it is being kept by a responsible individual. Taking animals from the wild is not at all acceptable and I am strongly opposed to it. If this was the case I would understand that permits would not be granted.

Lastly if the department holds the view that there is no reason for an animal to be in a cage, which I understand and respect, it would not be of any use because whether the animal is in captivity in this province or another, it would still be captive and will never be released.

I ask that you carefully and reasonably consider this.

Kind regards,

Ruan Stander
072 086 9869
ikkehissatsu101@gmail.com
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Permit problems in Limpopo

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:41 pm

That should work. I cannot see why not.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:52 pm

Registered breeder. DO it Do it.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks Bushviper.

it bit me, I only recently turned 17 so I live with my parents, and each of the few snakes that I have took many hours of negotiation with my mother. Trust me, until I am out of the house, there is no chance of any breeding. That would have been my way of taking care of it if it was not for my opposed mother.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Ask those okes what they mean by registered breeder. I think they simply made it up as a way of saying you gotta have some kind of credibility.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Not a bad idea it_bit_me. Will do so. Thanks.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:10 pm

What I meant to say was you need some kind of purpose but i have no clue other than personal pleasure why someone would keep an snake. You could tell them you are making profit of it in some way.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:19 pm

I agree. But I get what you mean. I'll give it a shot.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities