Eastern cape

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Eastern cape

Postby Kennyakagera » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi everybody,

First of all sorry if this Post has already been resolved
I am planning on doing my studies in south Africa and I have already applied in George for a nature conservation. I am waiting for an outcome soon soon. My question is :
What are the legislation in this part of the world, as snake keeping ? I just can't live without snake :twisted: ...
And are any of you from this side of the eastern cape ? How is it ?
I have never been in south Africa so any information would be appreciated, I love the bush I hate the city, it's almost 3 years now that I'm leaving in a national park, out of any civilization so it's gonna be tough ! :smt012
Thanks for reading
Regards
Kenny.
East African Herpetofauna Group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/662521540444058/
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Eastern cape

Postby kfc223 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 pm

George is western cape.

ALL reptiles need permits which are issued by cape nature.
Some species are blacklisted in the western cape.(Eg. Bearded dragons, Hog nose snakes, green iguanas)
ALL reptiles have to be captive bred and on permit. You will not be issued a permit for wild caught snakes.
You will be fined for keeping reptiles without permits (some fines are quite large).

Send me a PM if you want any more info on the western cape, George is only 50km from me.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:51 pm

+1 to kfc.
I live in Wilderness which is 10km away from George so if you have any questions feel free to ask :)
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Ok I will have to learn a bit of south African geographie ...
Sorry for that, anyway jeez I have lots of question as I don't have a clue on where I am heading to ..
Ok to keep it simple : how do I get a permit ? Does it require anything special ?
Will I be allowed to keep snake even inside a campus ?
Thanks again for the quick answers
Regards
Kenny
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 pm

I am pretty sure that you are not allowed to keep any sort of pets inside the campus.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby arie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 pm

hi
i am from george and if the campus you are going to is saasvel (nmmu) then you will enjoy it, i studied game ranch management there. its situated in the forest mostlty indigenous forest.. also if you have a snake and it is properly sorted for then it wont be a problem to keep it. there are even a few students there that might be able to help you with your reptiles.
george is an awsome place to hike in the forest and there area you are most likley going to be studying at has a high wildlife population. and the exploring and reptiles you will find is quite amazing... def something to look forward to.
arie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 pm

For permits:

You apply for a transport permit for the snake you want (eg boadon capensis) the seller will apply for the transport permit. Once it is issued you can transport the snake to where it will be kept.
Then you apply for a captivity permit. For that cape nature will come and inspect your enclosures, and then decide weather on not it is a proper setup. If everything is perfect they will issue you with a captivity permit.

You have one captivity permit but you get a permit register, from then onwards you just write the transport permit number on the register and add or remove snakes(like when selling snakes) or write when snakes hatch.

Like my original captivity permit was issued a year ago and its for 1 boadon capensis, now I have over 30 on my register and a couple of other species too. But if cape nature comes for a inspection I just show them my captivity permit and register.

You have to renew your captivity permit every two years and then its updated with all the snakes you have on your register at the time.

Some species are quite rare in the legal market, such as red lipped heralds because of their diet not many people have kept them legally. So your chances of finding on one permit is slim. And just to remind you, you will never get a permit for a wild caught snake and if they find one in your possession you will get a fine.

Tell me if there is anything else you need to know?
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:38 am

Thanks Arie, I don't have any snake in SA yet, I have quiet a few here but I'll never be able to bring them to South Africa as they are all WC I want to release them back to the wild when I'm leaving the parc. I don't know yet what campus I'll stay at, but most likely the one outside the university, so hopefully I'll be allowed a couple of snake !!!
Thank you so much for the infos KFC so if I understood well, if I want an African rock python (just an example .... But I would love to still !) I'll have to build a cage or buy one make sure everything is perfect as the right persons to come an inspect everything all right I get my keeping permit. I also need that transport permit, but let's says I want a mate for my python do I have to do all of that again and again and again ?
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:42 pm

All you do is apply for a transport permit for the other Afrock and then just add the transport permit number to your register.

You don't apply for another captivity permit and they won't inspect enclosures again until you renew your permits in two years.

The quality of store bought cages is pathetic and overpriced. Rather buy wood and build your own cages.

Justin
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Cool Justin thank you very much for the infos !
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities