Importing Invertebrates

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Importing Invertebrates

Postby F1refly » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:29 pm

This is something I've been wanting to find out properly for a while.

What are the legalities around Importing Exotic Inverts into South Africa? I'm not talking about Tarantulas, as that's been covered enough.
I just want to know in general, each province will have it's own laws but for this, let's use Gauteng as an example.
Are we allowed to import Insects and such into South Africa, and if so, what species or Genera are banned? Are we allowed to import scorpions, phasmids, beetles et cetera? Obviously all on permit of course.

Also, I've heard rumours that importation of all Livestock is illegal?

Please, if anyone can help, it will be vastly appreciated.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Importing Invertebrates

Postby F1refly » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:38 pm

Just to clarify, I'm not asking because I want to import, I'm just interested in the Legalities surrounding it.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Importing Invertebrates

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:24 am

You need to have a Risk assessment done for each species you wish to import. This then has to be forwarded to your local Nature Conservation department as well as the Plant and Pest control division of the Department of Agriculture. If that is approved then you will get an import permit from each of these Departments and you can go ahead. I dont think the State vet needs to get involved however just make sure on that.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities