What did you get at the 2013 SOS2 Expo?

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: What did you get at the 2013 SOS2 Expo?

Postby venomking » Mon May 06, 2013 2:43 pm

Great pics Louis I’ll try again tonight .Thanks I’ll keep in touch with you on the progress and if I need some more info, you seem to have everything sorted.
Hi bitis, no I have not I will have a look into that if all else fails, thanks for the reply.
venomking
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Mon May 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Primogen, that guy's name is Marcel. I can get his cell number / BBM pin for you if you'd like?
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Mon May 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks I have most of the details on the snakes just needed a name and number for record purposes.
Much appreciated.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 pm

Didn't wanna start a new thread, so I'll post them here. Didn't wanna spend too much as my main buys are coming after the expo. But here's what I got (excuse the sideways pictures):

Satan's spawn a.k.a Mangrove Viper. I bought two females, both were bred by Louis. This one was fine while it was being packed into the tub, then it got to my house. It strikes even when it has half a pinkie in its mouth! Awesome snakes though.
Mangrove.jpg

Copperhead. I got this little guy/girl with the change I had. Was bred by Rolf, its quite a decent size, eats weaner mice.
Copperhead.jpg

Then my favourite of the day. Durango Mountain Kingsnake! Also bred by Rolf. Got him/her yesterday and shed today. Looks absolutely fantastic. My decision to buy this was influenced by Unforgiven's recent thread about all his Kingsnakes and Milksnakes, haha.
DMK.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 am

He's from Lolilocks petshop in Brakpan.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Great choice!

I wanted to get a pair of durangos myself, but had already ordered 14 snakes from Rolf so I decided I would order next year! You have made me jealous
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue May 07, 2013 6:11 pm

I got these two.

One red one white
HA HA haaaaaa :-D
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bothriechis Shlegelii neonate Feeding??

Postby Serpent » Tue May 07, 2013 6:36 pm

venomking wrote:Hi all just want to know what other kinds of food can i try if my new eyelash viper (Bothriechis Shleggelii) doesn't want to eat he is still small
and i have heard now of feeding him minnows (small fish )
Please help with any other information
Kind Regards

Nice pics Louis!

Neonates can be tricky eaters to begin with, but once they get going they become formidable eaters, mine strike at anything that moves. I prefer 1-3 day old pinky heads for mine, or if I have not got then pinky parts, my bigger vipers readily take the carcass.

Tease feeding should be done in the evening, and not during the day, as early evening is when they tend to be on the move. Take a LONG tweezer and rub or pat the pinky part against the snake's tail (which they hate), this should make the snake strike at the feeder. As soon as the snake bites onto the feeder you let it go, and then you back off and watch from a distance. You may have to keep on teasing and teasing until the snake is so pissed of that it bites onto the feeder out of pure aggression. It may spit out the part, be patient and keep on trying.

Having said all of this, if your set up is not correct they will not eat, and their condition will deteriorate very quickly. I know this because I have learnt the hard way. Neonates must be kept in tubs, must have heating, a perch and very importantly the right substrate, like coco-nut husk or mulch as they retain moisture. Once established and eating fuzzies, then you can move them into a viv.

Best of luck with them bud, they are super cool snakes to have.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities