Tortoises

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Tortoises

Postby snakesaround » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi there, I am an old member of the forum.

I would like Bushviper, or someone of similar rank to pls assist me by sending me the legal issues concirning tortoises, I currently have an employee that isn't taking the legal aspects of accepting a wild cought tortoise seriously, if someone could pls send me the fines for keeping tortoises illegaly in the pta area, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
snakesaround
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Tortoises

Postby Chameleon Company » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:14 pm

I know that tortoises are illegal to own in any province without a permit. Firstly where are you from?

So the permit system works as follows in Gauteng for example:

If the tortoise is captive bred you can keep it on permit but only tortoises of the same sex.

If the tortoise is wild caught it may not be kept at all, but then there is lean way in terms of where the tortoise is from, how long its been in captivity etc....

I have seen captive bred Leopard Tortoises in pet shops in Cape Town under CapeNature permit but never in any other province.

The problem of legalities is an old problem since democracy as ordinances have been amended, changes, rejected etc....

Legalities with regards to tortoises is fuzzy to say the least, even government officials don't give a clear answer on keeping tortoises.

With that said, if any fines are imposed, the general rule according to Transvaal and Cape Ordinances is 'a fine, imprisonment or both, even first time offenders'.

Hope that helps.
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakesaround » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:25 pm

I asked him what tortoise it is, he showed me with his hands... so no way of knowing, needles to say I'm sure it is wild, he says he is getting it from a friend.
so it could be a turtle for all I know, and, to your question we are in Pretoria/Gauteng.

I understand there allot of grey areas, but this person has never owned a pet, if he doesn't even know what tortoise it is how on earht can he look after it, I'm dredding that it might be padloper.

thanks for the info CamCom
snakesaround
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 pm

The laws are the same with tortoises and terrapins.... a turtle would be a further problem with greater penalties.

Try get a pic of the specimen and post it here. The Geometric Tortoise, some members of the Homopus genus and Kinixys genus are protected due to their conservation concern.

There must be massive amounts of tortoises and terrapins being kept in captivity.
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakesaround » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Well he said they are CB, so well, anyway he said it sounds like to much effort , so he's gonna leave it.
snakesaround
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi
Sorry I was in KZN with some courses and was not on the forum.

He can apply for the permit but would have to explain where it came from. They would then decide to either give him the permit, or possibly confiscate it or confiscate it and fine him anyway. The last is highly unlikely if he had come forward first and told them the truth.

If he thinks that is too much hassle then dont encourage him because the keeping of a tortoise is more "hassle" than filling in a few forms.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby ca.boardman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi, we live on a farm in NW. A few weeks ago, my son rescued a large leopard tortoise on the road bisecting our farm, it was being stoned by some local people who say it is evil and must die. He brought it home to check for injuries. She was unhurt, so we fed her some prickly pear leaf, kept her overnight to make sure she was unhurt and he released her in the lands near to where she was found. She turned up in our workers village, with the same result, but we were called. We know it is the same tortoise because of a mark she has on her shell - a healed scuff/scar. The workers said that she will be killed if found agin. We have taken her in for now, and would like to keep her. We have a huge orchard, that is fenced, with an unused hen house for shelter, and would put in a shallow pond for her to wade into as wanted. There is a lot of natural vegetation, including prickly pears, which she loves. We also have loads of produce for her. This is her natural environment, and she would be safe. Do we have any chance of getting a licence?
Thanks
ca.boardman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:59 am

If you leave her in a natural area there will not be any problems. Why would the workers not kill her if they come across her there in the orchard? They are breaking the law by trying to trying to kill her and I am sure you could fire the whole lot if you pushed the letter of the law. It would be wise to warn them that they will all be fired if they attempt to kill a protected species.
Put in a shallow pool that she can walk into and out of, and ensure it is always full of water even in winter. Put a massive pile of grass in the highest point of the orchard so that she can shelter there for winter and not have any rain bother her. Weigh her once a month (excluding winter months) and if she is losing weight then you have to rethink keeping her there.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities