Bushveld weekend in Limpopo

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Bushveld weekend in Limpopo

Postby muddyboy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:01 am

Hi guys and gals.

I manage a Game Farm near Vaalwater Limpopo, 50 odd kilometrs from Nylstroom/Modimolle.

We are a small privately owned Game farm and lodge of 1200 hectares.

We are looking at getting up to 16 Nature crazy people to join us for a weekend of uninterupted, You may go anywhere and lift any rock kinda fun.
There will be a fee as we will supply your meals and your accomodation. (Bring own Bar)

I was thinking this would be a great oportunity for some of the Forum members to get to know each other and share bush fire stories.

Rules have to be followed, and BY NO MEANS MAY ANY ANIMALS, REPTILE OR PLANT BE REMOVED FROM THE PROPERTY.

If there are any members who would like to join in on this weekend, please contact me via yiwarra@outlook.com or simply PM me.

The date hasnt been set yet, but I was looking at October time, when all is nice and warm and the animals are all fresh and fat.

You will see many local species, Mamba, Puffies, Cobra, Rinkals, African Rock Python, Skaapsteker, House snake, Tiger snake, Bush snake, etc (these are only what I have seen with my own eyes.)
We also have tortois, Frogs, Birds, Insects and Lizards of all shapes and sizes.

I was looking at getting one of our members to do a Snake Handling course in the beginning of the weekend. And also to have some of the pro's attend sothat no one gets hurt.

Please give me your ideas and thoughts.

Would be great to have some Nature lovers on our farm and enjoy the nature we wake up with every morning.

Feel free to join our Face book (Yiwarra Gamefarm)
or contact JP at 0789205090 or email yiwarra@outlook.com if you would like a price for just you and your family or friends for a private weekend, as we cater for all kinds of small events and can sleep up to 24 people sharing.

Loads of photos but just a small taste.
Want a weekend on a Game Farm in Limpopo?
PM me for details and prices.
muddyboy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bushveld weekend in Limpopo

Postby Ruan Stander » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Very cool idea.
If my wallet will allow I'd be very keen.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby muddyboy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:24 pm

We are looking at a very affordable weekend.
Looking at accomodation and food, poss transferes for other individuals from Kempton park and Pretoria.
Most peeps should be able to afford as this is a non profit weekend.
We are looking at only covering costs, nothing else.
I would like to make the Farm available to ALL walks of life, not only the guys with the thick wallets.
Even Hunting has now been stopped on the farm since I have arrived.
The only hunting will be for culling purposes (Age and Sickness and Genetics)

If anyone has ideas on what you would like to see or do on the weekend, please feel free to share those ideas.
muddyboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Then you sir are surrounded by good karma.
Sounds fantastic.
I would like a lot of discussions on very many topics, and fostering friendships with like minded people.
Also possibly starting a Limpopo herping community or something, and we could travel to places where the people we meet are from and vice versa.
Exchange of knowledge and experience is something I value.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:50 am

This could be both fun and educational. I will enquire whether the THA would like to use this as a get away as well. Depending on time etc I would be happy to do a quick refresher on snake bite first aid and handling before the first excursion. Possibly that last weekend in October/November would be a date we can work towards and save up for it.

Could you please give us ball park figures of costs?

I am just thinking that if I can get a giraffe with a pair of pilstrom tongs then surely I should be able to keep it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rodis » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:29 am

BV - If you can hook an Impala it should be biltong.....fair is fair!

Sounds like a great idea and an awesome weekend. I would be keen and I would love to bring my son with.

As BV says, please give us a ball park figure to work with?

Thank you
"The best time to plant a seed and grow a tree was 20 years ago; the second best time is now" Chinese Proverb

Rodney Erasmus
Rodis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JJward7 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:09 pm

My other half and i are very intrseted in coming if the wallet allows. will send you an Email to get more details.
seems like an awesome idea though
Every good story seems to begin with a snake.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:19 pm

I think you are going to end up with more than 16 participant.. Is there a tenting option for extra people? :D
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:29 pm

What role do legalities and ethics play here? Will permits be required? Placing rocks, logs, etc should be put back exactly in place as this is one of the key points of herping ethics.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby muddyboy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi guys.
Like I said this is a privately owned game farm, and my bosses have given me the go ahead.

Prices so far are looking at R600 per person per night (sharing)

That includes 3 meals per day, and will consist of Boerekos meals, like potjie, full english breakfasts and vetkoek and mince served with salad etc. Braai obviously.
If there are a few single guys who dont mind sharing a room, we can arrange a discount as there will be up to 4 per room and there are 2 rooms that can cater for that. Also a room that can cater for 3 sharing. We can house up to 21 people in the lodge, then the camping facility as well.

YES, it does look like we will have to have another weekend. As I have had up to 40 replies so far.

We do not cater for Baths, only Showers.
We do have a camping Facility, very old school, it does however have a shower and toilet. Can house poss up to 10 tents. No electric. R150 per night per tent (2 x people sharing), self catering!! If you would like to eat your meals at the lodge, then we will charge for the food. But TBH, bush braai is the best.
It is about 1km away from the lodge and in the TOTAL middle of the bush.
I will make sure that we supply ample wood for your braais.
The camp isnt much, but for those loving the bush! you can not get closer.

You guys can see the Civit cats we are looking after. they only come out at night and come as close as about 3 metres from you.

Also if you are lucky you might get to see our Bush pig. (very rare occasion) comes to as close as about 7 metres away.

If you would require a lift to the lodge we can arrange a pick up and drop off from Mannah executive guest lodge in Pomona road Kempton Park. Your car will be safe there and 24hr security at all times. The charge for the return lift would be R150 per person. can take up to 9 people.

So all in all we are looking at R1200 per person, meals and accomodation included for the friday and the saturday night. Lunch will be served on the sunday before check out. We dont serve Alcohol at our premises as of yet, so you would need to bring your own booze.
Please note, that snakes and alcohol dont mix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bush Viper will explain all the rules are far as South African law goes.

Yes, if you lift a rock, you need to put it back the same way you found it!!!

Please let me know if there is anything else you would like to see or do while visiting our little piece of Paradise.

Please note that if anyone wants to come to the farm any other time besides this HERPING WEEKEND, let me know, as we offer a self catering package as well as a Full Board Package.
SA REPTILES MEMBERS GET DISCOUNT!!!!!!
But this only applies if you contact me via SA Reptiles Forum before booking. (PM messages)

We are also busy upgrading our 3 dams and soon will be stocking them with fish, then we will be open for fishing as well.

I have been in contact with our 2 neighboring Farms, and by the looks of things we will have up to 5000 hectares of bushveld for our weekend.
PS, When we go into Kamonande Game reserve, we will have to go by Landrover and be on a permanent lookout, as they have Buffalo and are quite mean.

We are also looking at Bird watching weekends, etc.

HAVE YOU SEEN THE STARS PROPERLY?
WAIT TILL YOU COME TO LIMPOPO!!!!!!!!!

JP
muddyboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scar69 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:28 pm

Dude...
This looks really interesting...
Kudo's to you for arranging this..
Look to be cracker of a weekend, i would be interested :D
Akshar Sookraj

"Use Your Enemy's Hand To Catch A Snake"
Scar69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:27 pm

The legal aspects of the herping are not complicated. We can herp with the owners permission without requiring permits. Catching as defined means the "taking into captivity" which is not what we will be doing. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Obviously we will have to be environmentally aware which means replacing rocks, not destroying hiding places, no breaking of branches or debarking and just general bush etiquette. We will be moving in groups so we will be helping any new people who have never herped before as to what you can and cannot do.

Cameras are a must for each group and animals being photographed must not be stressed during the process so quick photos and release in the same EXACT area will be expected.

On the Friday night there will be a quick chat on rules, snake bites, first aid etc so make that part of your plan ie ask the boss if you can leave early on Friday afternoon.

See you there.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jaredr » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:36 pm

This would be an awesome experience to go on as it will be the first time I have gone Herping. I am interested!!!!!!
An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
Jaredr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby muddyboy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi guys
Sorry Ive been hecticly busy on the farm preparing things for guests and the new arrivals of game.

Please check out our Website that I have also been working on (yiwarragamefarm.page.tl)

Prices have been finalised at R500 per person full board. Which basically meens that we will make sure you have 3 meals a day.
Please supply own alcohol. Coffee, tea and juice will be supplied by us.

Camp site will be up and running as well.

You can call us on 078 920 5090 or email mannah@mweb.co.za.

We have booked the weekend Friday 31st October and Saturday 1st November.
If guys want to, just to make sure their rooms are booked. Deposits can be made. please pm me or email me for banking details as well as referencees.

I will be in contact with Arno (Bushviper) to arrange all the nitty gritties.

Looks like we will have to do this 2 weeks in a row, as there are already alot of interest and many wanting to pay deposits.

Regards

JP
muddyboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby muddyboy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Just to make sure every one understands.
Its R500 per person per night! not for the weekend!

Deposits secure your room.
We can accomodate 8 couples (16 people) if they want private rooms. Or we can accomodate 20 singles in rooms sharing.
We only have 8 rooms at the lodge.
Camp site can accomodate up to 10 tents , maybe more dependant on their sizes.

Rooms are flying so please book early!
I will make sure everyone knows as soon as all rooms are booked, then we can arrange the next weekend for those who are left.

Regards
JP

This is a SA Reptiles Members only price!
So if in future you want to book, please remember to mention that you are a SA reptiles member and you will get the discounted rates.
muddyboy
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities