new legislation on invasive species

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: new legislation on invasive species

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:19 pm

I still want to know where in Limpopo Bitis rhinoceros and Bitis nasicornis can be even remotely potentially invasive.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tyronen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:38 pm

Can anyone explain how we are meant to deal with the Risk Assessment Report that would need to be submitted in conjunction with a Permit? Carpet Pythons are listed as "cat 2" and from what I can make out both the Risk Assessment Report and Permit application are required before any permit would be issued.
Tyronen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Nope. That would be only for imports. To keep them you just apply for a permit.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Kakibos » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:21 pm

Bushviper wrote:Nope. That would be only for imports. To keep them you just apply for a permit.

That is good news thanks.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TJ&ACP » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:30 pm

Now that it is accepted. I need advise on the documentation to be completed. This far I have seen two application forms:

1) Application for Alien and listed Invasive Species permit – Issued by National Environmental Management.
2) CPB4 – Keeping wild animals in captivity– Issued by Gauteng Biodiversity Management

Do I need to complete the CPB4 that will complement the Invasive Species or both?
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tyronen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:51 am

My guess would be that the CPB4 would only be for local SA snakes not exotics. Who has managed to successfully obtain a permit for Carpet Pythons so far on the Invasive Species Permit? Any tips you could offer?
Tyronen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:02 am

For some reason, head of NatCon offices here in PE is being a real stickler about allowing us to bring boa constrictors into the EC.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Savu » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Tyronen,the carpet python issue is in my opinion a bit of a disaster. A lot of keepers have over the last couple of years spent big money getting nice collections together. The possibilities with these beautiful snakes,would in my opinion easily rival the ball python trade. For me,there is no logical reason to put them on the invasive species list. In fact,seeing they(and certain others like rattlers) are on the list,might as well put every exotic on the list. INCLUDING cornsnakes,which if anything,would probably fit the bill of invasive exotic in S.A.
Savu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:48 pm

Now you're talking.
What are the chances of gaboons or nasicornis a) escaping, b) surviving and c) threatening any indigenous species by doing so ?
Corn snakes, however, have the full potential of becoming a serious problem should enough get loose.
They will make burms in the Everglades look like a walk in the park.
Those making these laws clearly don't know too much about these animals.
If you want to tell me gaboons have more invasive potential than corn snakes or even ball pythons, well then, pick a finger.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:21 pm

I might disagree to a certain extent. Every single wild caught corn I have found and kept has died. That's juveniles and adults. A friend of mine has had the same experience. If enough of ANY exotic species gets loose it will cause problems. I think cal kings should be a bigger concern than corn snakes. They are hardy, active, aggressive towards other species and not to mention highly cannibalistic. Cal kings would be able to do damage to indigenous species food supply as well as the species in the area themselves.

Nature conservation has no idea which species are most likely to become invasive because they don't study the snakes behaviour or their ability to adapt, they target the well known species most commonly kept and bred.
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 am

We are all picking species that we think will become invasive. Until the species has proven to be a problem anywhere else in EXACT CONDITIONS WE HAVE then we have no idea. Does the everglades have lions, leopards, caracal, honey badgers, meerkat, mongoose, cobras, file snakes, snake eagles, secretary birds, minibus taxis etc That will have a massive toll on a species which has not adapted to our surroundings. Why have corn snakes got such a limited distribution in the US? Why are they not found in every state? Same with king snakes. Surely if it was so easy to become invasive they would never have species in different areas as each species would have taken over the next locality as well. Why are Indian pythons almost extinct and why have Burmese pythons' distribution never increased (it has actually shrunk) over the past 50 years.
Why do we not have gaboon vipers breeding freely in Gauteng if rhino vipers are considered a risk to the province and they require the same conditions? Surely they would have just moved here from Zululand?
Most of these names were listed by a small group of people who are vehemently opposed to any exotic snakes being kept in captivity. We just have to live with it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jamster » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:29 am

They have alligators, which are pretty badass ;)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:28 pm

You make good points Bushviper.
I agree with Jamster on the king snakes as well.
Even these species we consider to be hardy are not very likely a threat to our country.
The point I am making though, is that if snakes like corns and kings have a hard time making it in our wilderness (being the ones with the most invasive potential) how on earth will gaboons and nasicornis remotely be a threat ? Along with a whole bunch of other species on the list.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:31 pm

*The ones that WE consider to have the most invasive potential, as BV said these are opinions not facts.
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Yes they are put forward as my opinion, I didn't claim them to be facts.
The species that THEY consider to have the most invasive potential are also based on opinion rather than fact or research.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities