August THA meeting 2014

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

August THA meeting 2014

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:28 am

Friday night at the THA meeting we are pleased to announce that the THA is going to try some "global village" exploits. We will be connecting to JP Wittstock in Durban who will take us through his collection and we will be communicating via skype from Tukkies Zoology building. Depending on the success of this we might be able to have more international speakers in future as well.

See this thread for a map to get there. Tukkies University.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32062

Usual time 19h30 for 20h00 with tea and cookies afterwards.

New memberships can be applied for before the meeting.

See you there.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: August THA meeting 2014

Postby Bushviper » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:31 am

I am pleased to announce that despite the little hiccups we had starting to get the connection the entire idea was a roaring success. We got dropped once and had a few "still frame" moments but other than that I think it was great. I think it was as good as anything you see on Sky News or CNN when they use an internet connection for a live broadcast.

In future we will be looking at connecting with international speakers and possibly combining the "broadcast" with clubs like ARK, West Rand, Cape reptile club, Mpumalanga Herp society etc.

Thanks to Andre Prins and Eugene Mitton for helping set this all up. Without their skills we would not have been able to do what we did.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mitton » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:22 pm

Pleasure Arno, thanks for thinking outside the box and arranging this new way of having THA meetings. Exciting times ahead!
I have already thought of other ways of doing this and possibly getting other herp assosiations involved via a virtual meeting room that they all can dial in to. It will have a cost that I will find out but should not be a lot. Even Skype has a cost if you want to have more than 2 ends connect.

It really was great. What a collection!! Thanks JP.
I am sure we can have another couple of these and see a lot more animals that we did not see last night.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:32 am

Thanks JP for showing us your snakes. I really hope that we can smooth out the few issues and get some guys abroad to do talks this way as well.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities