Quarantine - Doing it legally

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Quarantine - Doing it legally

Postby Kouthia » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:27 am

Hi,

I am interested to know from anyone what the requirements are to build a quarantine area if you would like to import reptiles.

Does this make the whole process any easier or is it still just as difficult to import if you have a well setup quarantine?

What kind of time can one expect to need to quarantine the animals nowdays? It used to be 3 generations but I understand that has past?

Thanks for the info.

K
Kouthia
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:46 am

Depending on where the animals originate from depends on what type of quarantine you need.

From The Americas and the Far east the quarantine has to be insect proof. If it is from Africa or Europe then the quarantine must just be escape proof.

All animals are quarantined for 30 days at a temperature of above 26 degrees celcius day and night. This causes the EE virus to burn itself out.

It took me 7 years of research to get the state vet to change that 3 generation story.

You can also hire quarantine space from people who have the facilities if you do not have your own.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities