Chameleon with dameaged eyes!

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Chameleon with dameaged eyes!

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi guys, a flapneck chameleon got brought to me today, it's already lost one eye and was bleeding out of the other one, there is no other visible damage. Im guessing maybe a bird or something pecked at it's eyes? Any help on what to do would be appreciated.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Chameleon with dameaged eyes!

Postby Scavenger » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:16 pm

It was most probably a bird, if you search the indigenous chameleon thread you will see a picture of one that I had found. Both eyes were really swollen and the skin on the face was discoloured. Fortunately for me one eye was open thus I was able to feed the chameleon I just put some bactroban on the the damaged scales (not near the eyes) and managed to get the swelling down till eventually both eyes were open and released the little girl close to where we found her. Possibly post pics so we can see the extent of the damage? but it doesn't sound to good if one eye is damaged as it definitely won't survive with only being able to use one eye.
Knowledge talks, wisdom listens
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:37 am

One eye is definetely not going to heal, the whole part of the eye was out of it's socket at the back where the retina is, but the kornea and iris looks like their still in place. I will try to get pics later.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Guys this poor chameleon is in pain, we don't have a vet nearby so will gassing it like I do with my mice work if it comes to that?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Wolf with reptiles they dont seem to feel pain the same way we do. If it is contorting or twisting around then smack it on the head with a brick (hard as you can) and crush the skull and brain in one quick movement. Gas does not work effectively on reptiles.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:44 pm

Ok thanks Bv, well it's acting just like a normal chameleon except it's blind and keeps on bumping things. There is a piece of the badly damaged eye that is "hanging" out at the back but all the fluid or "jelly" is out so it's basically a small empty piece thats sticking out. Should I clean it and push it back or should I maybe cut it of and dissinfect the wound? I am willing to take care of a blind chameleon but I just can't see it not going through pain at the moment, should I put it out of it's misery?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:57 pm

If it is completely blind it will never adapt. In that case rather knock it off. If you can save one eye it can live a long and happy life. Clean anything that is hanging out and see if it can be withdrawn back into the socket.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:01 pm

Ok thanks Bv.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital