Health Insurance for your reptiles

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Health Insurance for your reptiles

Postby ExoticReptiles » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi guys

I was searching the internet to find a place where I could take out health insurance for my reptiles, but all the places here in SA only do dogs and cats, so I was wondering, I am thinking of starting an insurance company reptile health care insurance and I would just like to find out if you guys would go for that or am I going to waist my time?
Exotic Reptiles
www.exoticreptiles.co.za
3.3.0 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Ball Pythons
0.1.0 Emperor scorpions
1.1.8 White Lip Tree Vipers
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
39 Cornsnake eggs
ExoticReptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Health Insurance for your reptiles

Postby vuduman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:23 pm

I think the funds will get depleted almost instantly.There are a lot of people with huge collections that looses alot of snakes.
The people that insure their family cornsnake will pull on the short end of the stick compared to someone who has something as fragile as Rhino vipers.Maybe different prices for different species and age of reptiles?
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:38 pm

I think that would be quite cool
Knowledge comes from reading a book. Experience comes from... not reading it.
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:57 am

I think that it is a good idea in principal.
Alot of thinking would have to go into it though.
Different pricing structures for different species.

What would be covered etc.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MISA » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:52 am

I am curious as to how the insurance would calculate the risk catergory and monthly premiums due by each client?

Would the insurance company go on experience, age, qualifications or just the value of the species kept by the applicant?

This alone could throw up some very interesting arguments as to who is better suited to insure their reptiles..

Would a Zoologist with little or no "hands on" time with herps get preference due to his degree, compared to a "layman" with 20yrs of herp keeping, as he doesn't have the correct "paper work " proclaiming him to be an expert in the field of herps?
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ExoticReptiles » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:22 pm

Well to answer your questions. I am looking at covering all reptiles, invertebrates any exotic pet that you may have will be covered. The premiums will be based on the species and the age of the animal and will not be affected by the experience of the keeper.
Even if you have a world of knowledge on your pet, there are just some things you can not do yourself, especially when it comes to operations, things that only a vet can do.
But like I said I am looking still looking into the whole process and all the complications that can arise, so no decision has been made yet, but I will let you guys know as soon as I have made a decision.
Exotic Reptiles
www.exoticreptiles.co.za
3.3.0 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Ball Pythons
0.1.0 Emperor scorpions
1.1.8 White Lip Tree Vipers
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
39 Cornsnake eggs
ExoticReptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital