How to identify scale rot [Q]

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

How to identify scale rot [Q]

Postby Spyke » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:54 pm

My Anery Corn has been healthy and strong for as long as I've had him (+/-9mo) and being my first rep I'm learning as I go along. Perhaps not the best way of going about things but I'm not scared to ask questions.

His last few sheds have been great but the last one has me a little worried. After the winter in which he was considerably less active yet not brumation(ing) and eating less frequently his last shed was a little patchy and incomplete. He failed to get rid of the lower half for about the first third of his body. The top and eyes are all clear barre a few spots that didn't release entirely.

I noticed that in a few spots his scales are either lifted or what seems to be doubled over. Now I'm not sure if this is just due to the bad shed or if this is cause for concern. I gave him a luke warm bath but there was minimal benefit from this. There is no discolouration, only an uneven 'nap' in two or three isolated spots.

Is there reason for concern?

Cold: Mid 20's
Hot: High 20's
Hum: Mild (25-30% IIRC)
Spyke
SA Reptiles Member

Re: How to identify scale rot [Q]

Postby vuduman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:50 pm

Might it not be waterblisters?I've seen lifting of the scales if a snake wasn't kept dry.Maybe during hibernation it was for a long period of time in the waterbowl?
Or maybe tipped his waterbowl over and was wet for a period of time?
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spyke » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:40 am

I don't think so. He seems to have quite an aversion to water. I seldom see him drink and he's never lying in his bowl. Plus there's no way he's tipping that lump of rock I have in there.

I took a look again and flexed the areas that seemed affected and it just looks like a bad shed with some left over pieces, but I'd rather be sure.
Spyke
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:07 pm

It will help a lot if you post a few close-up photos of the scales.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spyke » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:41 am

Apologies for digging up an old thread.

Update:
My corn is fine. It wasn't rot nor was it waterblisters. It seems it was just a bad shed and he's had a following complete shed in which the previous issues were resolved.

I've upped the humidity and this seems to be helping considerably.
Spyke
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eclipse » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:15 pm

Im glad your snake is ok.
No one really answered the original question.
Has this been discussed before? Ive tried searching but could not find a topic about it.

Can someone please give a brief explaining or reroute me?

Thanks
eclipse
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital