Pop-Eye

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Pop-Eye

Postby ISZY » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi there. i recently purchased baby variable bush vipers. on the one the eyes arent equal. it appears that the left eye bulges more than the right eye. I am scared that it may be problematic for the snake. any suggestion on diagnosis or treatment?

Thanking you in advance.
The depth of a man's soul
can not be measured in a matter
of meters and fathoms
but rather it is in my opinion
only quantified by his proximity
to heaven and hell.
ISZY
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Pop-Eye

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:40 pm

You'll have to keep an close eye on it :)
If it is an serious problem it will start showing sooner or later. Start looking for an reptile vet.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:02 pm

Do a search on here one of our members had the same problem with the same species if i am not mistaken it was an internal parasite the snake later died.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 pm

"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Amphibian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi ISZY does your snakes eye look like this:

This is a snake I purchased off one of the JHB based member's this week who ironically was also selling variable bush vipers...hopefully not to you.
I have started this animal on a course of Baytril, a broad spectrum antibiotic that can be issued by your vet. I am using Baytril primarily because this snakes biggest problem is a MASSIVE respiratory infection and i think the "pop eye" is a secondary infection which if is the case the antibiotic should hopefully help both issues at the same time.

But If like Fooble said your problem is a parasite then Baytril will not help.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Your advert

Postby michael » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:49 pm

In my experience this happens if these snakes have been kept in damp conditions. It is usually an infection and i agree with amphibians course of treatment. If these snakes are captive bred then parasites shouldnt be the problem. It would also be a good idea to check for snake mites. You should get the snake to a vet to reccomend the correct course of treatment. If these snakes come from the same breeder he should be contacted.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby ISZY » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:32 pm

thanks Amphibian, my snake looks exactly like that. will take it to a vet ASAP.

my snake is however from PE.

I dont know if Baytril is possible for a 4cm snake.???
of meters and fathoms
to heaven and hell.
ISZY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blet » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:16 pm

You might be sitting with one of two scenarios...(1) glaucoma ie increased intraoccular pressure or (2) retrobulbar pressure/mass
I've personally never seen glaucoma in reptiles but retrobulbar pressure, especially secondary to abscesses are common. Sometimes the only option would be to perform an enucleation. See a vet with knowledge on the topic.
Blet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ISZY » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:11 pm

thanks everyone. went to the vet. it is an abscess. we are on a course of Baytril for 10days.

thanks again guys
of meters and fathoms
to heaven and hell.
ISZY
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital