Burmese python swollen

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Burmese python swollen

Postby Jan-Kobus » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:32 pm

Good Day

Hi, my name is Jan, I am from East London.
I hope someone will be able to assist me.

My female Burmese python, she is 6 years old , 3.8 m and has been housed singularly all her life.

I have been noticing that her lose part of her body, about 10cm above her cloaca, has become rather swollen and very soft, just in that section, the swollen area is about 40cm long. the rest of her body is still firm and muscular.

Her enclosure is 3m long, 2 m deep and 1.8m high. ambient air temp of 28°C.

She ate last on Saturday, she had 4 rabbits.
please could someone assist me in the cause of the swelling and what it is.

Kind Regards
Jan
Jan-Kobus
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Burmese python swollen

Postby chris w » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi, when last did she defecate because it sounds like she may be constipated, would like someone else on the forum to give a second opinion, but if I am right leaving her in a bath for a while with some warm water may help. Good luck.
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mania » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi
I had a similar thing with one of my dumeril boa females but she was with a male. I took her to the vet and the vet did a xray and saw that there were rotten eggs that she didnt pass and there were feaces inbetween the eggs that were stuck and blocking the vent. The vet said if it wasnt checked out it could have died within 3 weeks. Luckerly no op was needed but he sorted her out.. So maybe just take your snake to the vet and get it checked up incase it could be something like a blockage or someting.
hope that sorta helped
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jan-Kobus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:59 pm

Many thanks for your guys advice.

Had x-rays done on her, no spinal damage, but it looks like the muscles in that area have gone lame. she has not defecated since her last meal, only urinated, twice. There are no hard masses in her, could this be a result of the food being bad?
if it was a spinal injury, her whole lower half would be lame from that section down, but she has full ability of her tail.

Its very unusual that she has gone so soft in that area, very "mushy" like and flimsy.
Jan-Kobus
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital