Help with Baytirl, RI.

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Help with Baytirl, RI.

Postby ColinWa » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:57 am

Hey guys,

I'd like to know if any of you know where I can get my hands on some baytril without having to go for consultations every time my snake gets sick. My BP was at onderstepoort vet for treatment of his RI. I was given 3 doses of Nuflor, and told to inject once every 3 days. My BP still has has a wheeze after this treatment and at the moment I can't afford to pay for a whole consultation again just to get R50 worth of meds again. My tempratures are correct aswell as my humidity, my snake got RI after the power went off during a cold night, unaware that it went off whilst I was sleeping and I found him making funny contractions and being ice cold, I figured that's what gave him the RI. Luckily I did manage to warm him up again and he's pretty healthy and eating well, except for this wheeze he does everytime I handle him, he doesn't wheeze all the time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin

EDIT: Sorry, I meant Baytril in the Subject, Typo*
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Help with Baytirl, RI.

Postby Jimbo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 am

I had a similar thing happen with the power going off and one of my snakes got really sick as a result. After about three courses of anti-biotics and two stays in the "hospital" he is doing well, except he is now not eating and has diahorea, most likely as a result of all the antibiotics.

We were told by the vet that we should keep his cage temps relatively high, 30-32 all round and keep the humidity in the 60-70% range. This increases their motabolism which apparently helps them recover from RI's. We were also given a disinfectant type thing - not sure of the name but it is some kind of vetinary disinfectant - that we were supposed to use to nebulise the snake. We used a heat humidifier in his cage and this worked like a charm. In the course of about 2 months, he went from crawling up the sides of the cage to be able to breathe, having foam coming out of his mouth and crackling more than a bowl of Rice Crispy's on steroides to making no noise when he breathes, lying properly in his cage with nothing coming out of his mouth. If only we could get him back onto food then all my worries would be over.

My suggestion would be to try keep his cage temps raised if you can, and if possible, try nebulise him rather than using more antibiotics. The vetinary disinfectanct was R100 or so and we didn't even use a quater of the bottle, so should this happen again, or we hear wheezing from any of our snakes in the future, we will nebulise straight away and hopefully stop the RI before it can cause too much of an issue.
Jimbo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Antibiotics can only help up to a certain point and then husbandry is of prime importance. One night of cold will never cause that level of RI. You need to look at the entire husbandry setup and then fix what is wrong.

The chances are that your snake is still getting cold and the humidity is not high enough for a snake that is on the road to recovery. It is not overnight that the snake gets better either.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby ColinWa » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:32 pm

That's the first time i've heard of a snake getting neubilised, well I don't think my tempratures are the problem, it's between 28-32, can't really give a complete accurate reading as i'm currently using analogue termo/Hygrometer. I have large heatpad running 24/7 and a cermaic heat emitter on a thermostat, what I do think could be possibly making the recovery longer, or making him sick is the low humidity, it being a fairly large cage it's quite a mission to keep the humidity up, I mist twice a day, I put in a larger water bowl last week and i'm using a home made humidifier, it's keeping the humidity at about 50-60%, that's long after it's been misted.

Well, if he doesn't get better by this weekend i'll have him checked out.

Thanks for the help,

Cheers,
Colin
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby imperial exotix » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi Colin,
Just a quick tip is to put your water bowl on top of your heat pad so your humidity levels will go a lil higher
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital