Impacted/Infected Scent Glands.

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Impacted/Infected Scent Glands.

Postby Primogen » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:25 am

My brother surprised me this morning when he came with an adult female Black rat snake.
My family has been very aware of what snakes I want due to my normal ramblings.

After taking the snake and giving it a once over I found a very serious problem, and before any one says take it to vet, I will be doing that as soon as possible.

The snake has what looks to be infected scent glands, the swelling is very pronounced just below the vent and looks to be in both pockets.
I can't confirm that this is infact female or male as I can't probe the snake in this condition, but the person who sold it to my brother was apparently very insistent it was female.

So far all I have done is give the snake a long soak in a F10 solution 6ml/1L, she passed stool and it looked normal, have also confirmed she has no mites.
She looks very healthy otherwise and is obviously still eating.

Any advice is welcome as well as a recommended vet is the Joburg area.

Pics,
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Impacted/Infected Scent Glands.

Postby Allen G. Liebenberg » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 am

Dr Marc Verseput-near Parktown North.This can happen to males as well.The glands /hemipenes need to be flushed and antibiotics plus anti inflammatories need to be given.Seems to happen in older snakes-may be hormonal as well?
Allen G. Liebenberg
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Impacted/Infected Scent Glands.

Postby Primogen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, have made an appointment for tomorrow.
The swelling has gone down a little but is still there, but its definitely an infection as the small red area has burst.
I will just keep applying Bactroban for now until I see the vet.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital