My baby, my Herald.

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

My baby, my Herald.

Postby cynicman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:01 am

I seriously got this one as a hatchling. I get it eating small tails very quickly... At an estimated 4 months old, my baby died. I am sad, not only for the death, but because I feel I could have prevented it. I hadn't been gecko hunting as regular as I used to... so no tails for several weeks. I hate myself for that... and now I pledge to go weekly... I feel like such a bad father.

I will miss you Penne...
Reptiles in my care: 2x Brown House (1x Female, 1x Male - here's hoping), Natal Green Male, 1x Herald, 1x Bearded Dragon Female

Total Pet Count: 26 | Dogs: 4 | Cats: 6 | Rats: 11 | Snakes: 4 | Lizards: 1
And each one is loved!!!
*My wife has lots of patience...

If you love reptiles, you would probably love rodents as well: http://www.sarodents.co.za/
cynicman
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My baby, my Herald.

Postby Constrictor Girl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:49 am

Cynicman, so sorry about your loss. Guilt is a terrible thing, if you feel you were in the wrong then accept it, learn from it and move on. We all make mistakes. Dont beat yourself up too much, there are 38 more animals (and a wife of course) still needing you to focus on them.
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cynicman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:44 am

Actually, there are 39 more animals... I did adjust the signature yesterday. But thanks for the kind words...
Reptiles in my care: 2x Brown House (1x Female, 1x Male - here's hoping), Natal Green Male, 1x Herald, 1x Bearded Dragon Female

And each one is loved!!!

If you love reptiles, you would probably love rodents as well: http://www.sarodents.co.za/
cynicman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:25 am

Possibly just feed it its natural diet of frogs. Gecko tails are not really a balanced meal anyway.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby cynicman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 am

I know... and I am battling to find frogs that are small enough. I tried to get tadpoles from a friend who had them in her fish pond... but she decided it was in the best interest to poison the tadpoles... so I am stuck... I go hunting for small frogs, but the smallest I find is two to three times bigger than her head.

And each one is loved!!!

cynicman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boesman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:01 am

Why didnt you just release it if you couldn't find food for it.....Rather keep something else in the future!!
Boesman
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby cynicman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:25 am

It wasn't about not being able to find food... I got lazy over the last few weeks... and my othersnakes are all pretty hardy and I didn't stop to think that a baby wouldn't sustain itself as long as an adult house snake for example, with out food. Saturday the snake was fine... Monday ... not fine....

And each one is loved!!!

cynicman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boesman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:00 pm

cynicman wrote:It wasn't about not being able to find food... I got lazy over the last few weeks

Wow thats even worse!
Boesman

Postby cynicman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:59 am

Boesman wrote:
cynicman wrote:It wasn't about not being able to find food... I got lazy over the last few weeks

Wow thats even worse!

I know dude... :( that's why I am so pissed off with myself. But as one of my friends said to me... I've learned a hard painful lesson. Don't let it happen again! And that I won't... I've fattened up all my snakes this last week... and they are very happy now... the other herald has even stopped hissing when I open her lid. However, the morninging after a feed, my one Spotted Bush Snake had deceased. He was quite a big boy... and I think he might have been old. The rest are all doing well and I will be investing in more bigger tanks for them, and I've been planning on breeding House Geckos... which I will setup soon as well.

All I need is a source of small frogs... as the ones near my house and larger than R5 coins.

And each one is loved!!!

cynicman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boesman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:13 am

Try and find some pond with tadpoles...catch them and raise them in a fishtank till they are bigger then you can give it to him....If you cant find any,then go buy some guppys,my herald use to eat them so maby your will aswell.
Boesman

Postby cynicman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 am

Was thinking to feed guppies, but the guy at the petshop said it was unlikely to work. I have a large water bowl in the cage.

And each one is loved!!!

cynicman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boesman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:00 pm

The guy at the pet shop doesn't know what hes talking about...give it a try at least.
Boesman

Return to RIP