PLEASE help ..

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

PLEASE help ..

Postby kimberleysucks » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:20 pm

well. Today my corn snake died. And I am sad. However, I want a new reptile. Does ANYBODY in the Kimberley region have a snake, lizard or such that they could give or sell to me? I'm not too specific about what breed. I just want something to fill that void. Please reply A.S.A.P .. Please be advised, I am on an extremely low budget. :smt022
I am the voice of those who cannot voice their views.
kimberleysucks
SA Reptiles Member

Re: PLEASE help ..

Postby Ales » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Well I suggest you find out why your snake died before considering getting anything else...
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sega » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:31 pm

I agree with Ales.
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kimberleysucks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:30 pm

she died because of a stump in the tank. I only NOW found out that the stump is aspen wood. I feel so responsible. But one must learn I suppose. Anyway, I went and BOUGHT a stump. I would buy myself the twin corn. But I simply don't have the R300 .. I still have frozen pinkies , live mice and a full tank. I really just want something to fill that void. I was going to phone Beryl Wilson upon instruction, but she is on sick leave. So I still feel pretty lonely and well, the tank is still empty. Now I know not to let aspen near my tank. I think I have the basics down.
kimberleysucks
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:42 pm

I think you are mistaken, aspen should not be a problem for any reptile. In fact, some of the best reptile bedding is made from aspen shavings.

Keep on looking to find out why the snake died.

What is/was your set0up like? What heat did you use? Substrate? Temperatres?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby kimberleysucks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:13 pm

hmmm. After a second look at my setup. I realised, her water dish was far too large. Her snout was wet after her death, she was still warm. Her eyes had turned white and her body was stiff. She was definately dead. I think she drowned. She was laying near the dish. Is this a possibility?
kimberleysucks
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Snakes are really good swimmers and will just benefit from a large water bowl.

Keep looking man. Thats how we all learn.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby TJ&ACP » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:55 pm

You are saying “Her snout was wet after her death, she was still warm. Her eyes had turned white and her body was stiff”
This doesn’t match. If it is stiff it can not be warm or was there a time frame between.
Her snout was wet, wet as in watery wet or mucus
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 am

TJ&ACP wrote:You are saying “Her snout was wet after her death, she was still warm. Her eyes had turned white and her body was stiff”
This doesn’t match. If it is stiff it can not be warm or was there a time frame between.
Her snout was wet, wet as in watery wet or mucus

I agree still warm, can't be stiff.

But then again a warm snake? what was the temperature inside the cage? Unless the snake was lying dead on the heat pad? Something doesn't make sense here.

How long did you have the snake? and how big and old was the snake? how often did you feed it and what did you feed it?
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Warm snakes are usually an indication that they have overheated. What are the temperatures in the cage at the hottest spot, at the coldest spot and general air temperature. Was the cage in direct sunlight by any chance?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby kimberleysucks » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:35 pm

greetings. Excuse the delayed reply. Now, after further examination. I noticed she was laying on her heating pad just before she died. And whilst I found her. Then, I thought about it. Phoned a vet in C.P.T and realized. It was mucus. I then did some research, checking the advice of the vet. And came to the conclusion that she might have had a respitory infection. Because just before I put her in her tank, she was in a small container with extremely fine sand in it.

She is a juvenile. I got her about four months ago. From a pet shop. Not sure about her exact age.

I apologize for texting extremely strangely and confusing. I'm on my pc. Missing a few letters on my keyboard.
kimberleysucks
SA Reptiles Member

Return to RIP