African Reptiles and Venom Snake Courses

If you are presenting any courses please send the details to Bushviper or Bushbaby to be listed in this forum.

African Reptiles and Venom Snake Courses

Postby Quintin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:02 am

Hi All,

Mike Perry e mailed me and asked me to remind everyone that he will be presenting The Snake ID & Snakebite Treatment course (R770.00) and Venomous Snake Handling course (R325.00) on Saturday, the 29 of August 2009.

I highly recommend Mikes courses, as would many members on this forum.

For more information please contact Mike:

AFRICAN REPTILES AND VENOM
Mike Perry
083 44 888 54 (cell)
0866973304 (fax)
mike@africanreptiles-venom.co.za

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: African Reptiles and Venom Snake Courses

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:38 am

I agree with Quintin, if you ganna be playing around with hot snakes or even learning the basics for those nice aggressive constrictors. This is a skill that you will have for life and a great sense of achievement when you get your certificate. Also this course is registered with FGASA which is an added benefit. Go for it guys you won't regret it!
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:01 pm

I would like too but my dad wont let me work with venemous snakes as im only 13 :(
any suggestions?
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Matt Robinson » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:08 pm

Wait until your older? Whats the rush
Matt Robinson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:21 pm

mgiddings wrote:I would like too but my dad wont let me work with venemous snakes as im only 13 :(
any suggestions?

Make it a father and son day, that way your dad learns about venomous snakes and the correct handling and also learns that they are not bad snakes just because they have venom. Unless your dad is a wussy like mine :lol:
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:42 pm

yeah thats what I thought but he thinks I might get bitten
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby joef_conner » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:50 pm

And eventaully you will.
joef_conner
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby BushSnake » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:30 pm

joef_connor, if you feel like making comments such as the one above you are more than welcome to leave this forum for good! Yes, some snakes are dangerous, but with a little bit of knowledge and common sense you can decrease the chance that you will get bitten dramatically. It is like saying you will make an accident if you drive on the road. There are accidents, and some could have been avoided, but a lot of people go through their lives without being in an accident. This forum is there to teach people about the correct way to do things, not to scare them away!

So Mgiddings, I would strongly recommend you do that course with your father. Half of my family also suffer from a fear of snakes but you will be surprised to see how quickly their attitudes change once they see people handling snakes like it should be done, and not like is is shown on TV! I've done Mike's handling course, as well as the mamba handling course, and even though it is quite expensive it does not way up against the costs of an accident that could have been avoided. If you have a passion for snakes, you will at some point in time want to catch a dangerous snake and it is far better learning how to do that in a controlled environment than learning it for yourself where you may make unnecessary mistakes!
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby mgiddings » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:33 pm

thanks bushsnake I'll try convince him once he gets back from mosambique :)
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:35 pm

Cool dude, I think it will be awesome if you can make a day of it with your father then he will also get educated on the correct methods of snake handling. What snakes do you keep?
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:02 pm

Im kind of new with a corn snake at the moment
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:07 pm

mgiddings I would wait a little bit if I was you. This would be like going on an advanced driving course and then tackling the Paris - Dakar a week after getting your learners license. Get used to snakes and then over time you can convince your dad to allow you on the course for your birthday or something.

Your Dad does not do this because he does not like you but specifically because he does like you. Once you have been on the course you will more readily go pick up a venomous snake (because you know how, right?) than just leave it alone they way you know you should.

These courses will be around for many more years and it would just make more sense to wait a while.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:20 pm

mgiddings wrote:Im kind of new with a corn snake at the moment

I remember me in those stages, I got my first Corn snake and I wanted to get hooks and Tongs etc :lol: Then I had my first encounter with a Nivea and realised I still had some way to go. :shock:
Take you time, you number will come up when the time is right. ;)
Get to know some guys that keep HOTS and just visit and observe, you learn more that way.
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:27 pm

thanks guys I was not going to go pick up hots or something :) i am just looking for ways to become more knowledgeable about snakes. I just want to handle and lern more but unless I jave that snake as a pet there is no way to handle them how do you guys get snakes to handle?
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:40 pm

mgiddings wrote: how do you guys get snakes to handle?

Get to know someone that is experienced and knowledgeable (please double check the persons credentials) then ask if you could visit them, and you can observe what they do, you can learn a lot more about a snake when its in its cage or in the wild, than when you are hooking and tailing it.
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Courses