Study time

If you are presenting any courses please send the details to Bushviper or Bushbaby to be listed in this forum.

Study time

Postby DooMShortS » Mon May 21, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi Guys

There is a long and a short version to this. The Short of it is, I want to change from my IT position over to a position in an "Environmental" course.

I am planning on taking my matric subjects and improving on them. And then adding science and biology. I understand this is not a 3 month transition. I am going to take may time with this.

My reason for posting here is to ask if anyone knows what route to take in order to achieve this.

I had IT and engineering graphics and design as my subjects I wanted to go in. I am now a Database Admin and feel this was a hobby that I took and made it my job. From matric I felt I didn't know what direction to go in, so I chose the route I knew. Now that I know there are endless possibilities in other fields I do enjoy, I want to start the process of getting my old grades in order to achieve at getting my studies behind me and still working at the same time.

I'm not asking to be spoon fed the info, but any nudge in the right direction will be more than enough.

Thanks
Ruan

PS: I am a bit confused still in which direction to go, so if this is somewhat unclear, I'll try and correct where I can :D
DooMShortS
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Study time

Postby tJokkie_ » Mon May 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi Doom

My 2 cents ,

As far as i am aware if your 23 + you can just do a bridging course, so you don't have to go do your matric subjects over.
Best would be is to go to UNISA , UJ , Tuks and speak to a study adviser on the best route to go

Regards
Chris
Ball Pythons 1:0:0 Aurora 1:0:0 Macklotts Python 1:0:0
Blood Python 1:0:0 ... and some more :/
tJokkie_
SA Reptiles Member

Postby DooMShortS » Tue May 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for the info, really do appreciate and will use it! :D

I did some reading and website hunting. On a previous post here on SA Reptiles someone mentioned - http://www.fgasa.co.za/trainingproviders.asp - and through the FGASA site I found --> http://bushveldtrainingadventures.co.za ... ce-course/

I enquired about their correspondence course and got the following reply:

You are welcome to start at this time of the year – you will then start with Arthropods (June) and finish next year June.

So as far as I can pick up, you can start the course any time...and continue for the next year. Which will definitely help :)

Has anyone done this type of course? Anything I should consider before taking this course?

Thanks
DooM

PS: Again, I'm not going to jump the gun and take the first course available. Just want to get something like this on paper and progress from there.
DooMShortS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed May 23, 2012 2:30 pm

If I was you I would go look at employment opportunities in this field and then see what they require and what they are paying. It is fine to say you are doing it because you love it but when you get married or have kids they will like a few luxuries and this field does not pay exceptionally well. If you are going to inherit a game farm or have family that need you to run their farm then by all means go for it. If you will have to work for some random land owner for the rest of your life you will probably be exploited unless you are really lucky.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Eyelash » Wed May 30, 2012 2:36 pm

Arno has a valid point there ! You really have to do your research when it comes to job opportunities in science. Their's not always a lot of paying jobs out there and to get a decent job, you'd probably have to continue studying for quite some time.

I'd say the best for you and your future will be to do a BSc at TUKS or UNISA. Both are pretty on par, TUKS being the best for BSc in my opinion (I've done courses at both and I'm still busy finishing my microbiology degree.).

From your last reply I get the feeling you are considering zoology as a field of study ?
Believe me, it might be interesting BUT it's a LOT of HARD work and NOT EASY to say the least and def. not for everyone. I did zoology during my first two years in BSc and I always thought I'd love to work as a zoologist but ended going into microbiology instead.

I'd suggest visiting the TUKS website and having a look at the science department and the courses they have in your field. Also have a chat with some of the lecturers at TUKS and ask them to show you what you can expect etc...

I hope it helps ? If all else fails, give me a shout.

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby DooMShortS » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:14 am

Hi Guys

Sorry for not replying any sooner.

I have been thinking about this a lot. As I have said, I don't want to rush into anything. I wanted to gather some info on the mentioned fields, just because I was a bit desperate at that stage. :oops: My intention was not to waste anyone's time, not at all. I truly believe I want to study something in the mentioned fields, even if it means starting small, buying books and just getting info.

At this stage I'll have to stay in the IT field. I'll have to make due the fact that from this position I can think of supporting a family in the future.

From here I can add to my knowledge and certification. Even if it is a "weekend hobby".

Thank you for the replies, I really do appreciate the input.

Regards
Ruan
DooMShortS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shamroth » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:43 am

If you are interested in IT you might want to think about doing a GIS course. It gives good job opportunities, in conservation and in other areas.
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Also maybe have a look at Bioinformatics. It might not be as exciting as Genetics or Zoology but it pays very well and you'll be working with data from your field of interest and other interesting fields.

Regards
Louis
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Courses