Information on studing a BSc

If you are presenting any courses please send the details to Bushviper or Bushbaby to be listed in this forum.

Information on studing a BSc

Postby Tagged » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Good day

I was wondering if anyone could assist me with some information regarding studing a BSc.

I have been out of school for 10years so I have not just jumped into this. A lot of thinking has been done.

I have decided to persue a career in Zoology/ working with animals. I have registered and ready to study through UNISA as I have still have to work.

I am going to study a BSc in life sciences majoring in Zoology.

Where i need help is what else to major in to offer myself the best oppurtunity to be able to get a decent job one day as I know to get work in this field is very difficult.

Options being - Phisiology, Genetics, Botany, Enviromental Management, Microbiology or Biochemistry.

If anyone could offer any information regarding the above it will be much appreciated.

thanks
Tagged
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Information on studing a BSc

Postby chris w » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi there, i am studying a BSc through UNISA aswell, i think it all comes down to what you are interested in and what you wish to do with your degree. personally i am majoring in zoology and botany as both cover conservation within there fields which of course is important to what i want to do. and of course take in depth looks into the subject. good luck
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:04 pm

I have not Studied, my wife however did her BSc in zoo and botany. I must be honest no jobs down that line unless she goes and does honors and stuff. she currently works at a car dealership doing admin.

if you really want to do something down this line and be able to work after you studied rather go down the line of environmental management I think Chameleon Company is doing that so speak to him he will be able to tell you more about it. Think you get it in a BSc as well, I remember my wife saying its similar to what she did.

Good luck hay
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:18 pm

I would say go for Microbiology or Genetics. Both these are fields that play a huge role in day to day life and work shouldn't be too hard to find (I'm currently doing microbiology).

For most BSc's you'll need to keep on studying these days like kinghero mentioned.

Feel free to contact me if you still have any Q's !

Regards
Louis
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tagged » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:36 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replys.

Chris - I went and had look at what I wanted to do and what interests me, I also spoke to someone at the JHB zoo and they gave me some good information regarding what to study.
I defintcly want to get into field work.

Eyelash - thanks will def give you a shout if I need help, and will always keep studing.

King Hero- With the advice from the guy at JHB Zoo and yours I have decided to go the BSc in Environmental Management (Zoology Major)
I think this will afford me a good opputunity to get employment one day as well be able to work in the field ( I would never cut it working in a lab :) )

thanks again to all.
Tagged
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:50 am

I am glad to hear, and even more glad that you took the time to make an informed decision, I see to many people rush into it and then they are stuck.

Good luck
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SABOAMAN » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:55 am

Your choise in Environmental Management as second major would come in handy for a number of other reasons too. You could work in any large companies SHEQ department as auditor/ISO 14001 of 2008 officer. Or goverment, or private environment impact assesment officer. These are all secondary options if any zoology career paths doesn't open up for you.
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Courses