Breeding GAGA-GRUBS

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Breeding GAGA-GRUBS

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi all, has anyone successfully bred GAGA GRUBS? I only manage to get the grubs to turn into soldier flies, but have no success in getting the flies to lay eggs?? Any help will be appreciated!

Moved
Not knowing something is normally a milestone on the way to knowledge!
1.1.0 Elaphe Gutatta Gutatta
0.1.0 BCI Boa Constrictor Imperator
1.0.0 BCC Boa Constictor Constrictor
1.0.0 Orthriophis Taeniura Friesi
0.1.0 Lampropeltis Banana King
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Breeding GAGA-GRUBS

Postby insaniac » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:59 pm

Do you really like breeding them ?

I find that they grow too small, I've had much better luck with silkworms...

Silkworms are also easier to care for and higher in nutritional value...

Sorry, don't mean to knock your attempt, but If you do decide to soldier on with them, I suggest you push up the temps about 4 - 5 degrees, that always gets insects going... Oh yeah try to moisten up the substrate a tiny bit more too...
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:06 pm

Silkworms are easy to breed yes ,problem is you cant breed them all year round?? I tried diff kinds of temp like you suggesting but, to no avail. I keep the substrate moist and the other problem I encounter when feeding the grubs fruit is that only maggots appear...lol

GA-GA Grubs is ideal for feeding baby dragons so silkworms won't do!
Not knowing something is normally a milestone on the way to knowledge!
1.1.0 Elaphe Gutatta Gutatta
0.1.0 BCI Boa Constrictor Imperator
1.0.0 BCC Boa Constictor Constrictor
1.0.0 Orthriophis Taeniura Friesi
0.1.0 Lampropeltis Banana King
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:54 am

Yeah you're right,

Silkworms appear too early in the year and most are already too big when you'd presumably get your beardie clutches out.

I'm throwing in the towel on this one, but try calling " Outrageous Pets " on 011 609 2091

They have a whole shelf full of the stuff, so I presume they would know...

Good Luck !
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:58 am

Gaga grubs/soldier flies are not easy to breed and require quite specific conditions to get pairings. Silkworms, on the other hand, are very easy.

It is simple to keep silkworms going through out the year. We breed/rear them 365 days a years as they are an ideal food supplement for chameleons. How to keep them year round? Go to http://www.sa-chameleons.com and find out just how easy it is!

If you are breeding your own silkworms you will end up will loads small enough to feed hatchling lizards, like new chameleons etc.
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Phoenix Bugz » Thu May 09, 2013 11:20 am

Breeding them is actually possible small scale, but they are available quite cheeply in South Africa at the moment (20c a worm at the moment, minimum 2500 worms).

We are partnered with Agriprotein, who produces maggots and phoenix larva out of recycled waste nutrients. They won the UN prize for innovation yesterday. (http://mobi.iafrica.com/cooltech-news/2 ... -un-prize/)

We market phoenix worms/gaga grubs/bsf by the litre because they are such versatile feeds - capable of being fed to arachnids, birds, fish, mammals and rats and have a shelf life of up to 2 weeks.

Different life stages of the larvae are better for different animals based on their digestive capabilities. Ideally, you want the white (instar 3-5) ones to start reptiles out because it is an entirely new feed and you want your pet to get used to the idea of eating them. Once he gets the hang of it though he will eat the bigger darker ones (Instar 7+). These are rich in chitin and an excellent source of fibre. When they are in this stage of development they wriggle much less though.

We can also post or courier orders to your nearest post-office if you live in South Africa.

If you would like more information feel free to drop me an email at phoenixbugz@gmail.com. :)
Phoenix Bugz
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile cuisine