How to kill mice?

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

How to kill mice?

Postby RaD » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:14 pm

Ok, so I've got some mice that are full grown and I need to kill them for freezing. Is there a way to do this en mass without beating them over the head. Dunno if I could manage that just yet. I heard u can "gas" them with dry ice. Where can I get some and can u keep it in the freezer or is it not cold enough?
RaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GOOF 1o1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:48 pm

HEy RAD
I for one like the culling method
I kill my mice & rats by breaking their necks like you would with a chicken or rabbi,t its a humane culling method and goes fast

About the dry ice, I hav also heard, but I hav never tried it.
at the vet where i work we keep it in containers that go below -140 degrees so no in a freezer it would deffinately melt

there are ppl I know of who just put the mice in the freezer but thats not for me and I wouldnt recomend it

GOOD LUCK
GO YOU WELL
GOOF 1o1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RaD » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:32 pm

Yeah, I suppose I'm being a baby about this whole thing. Just feel bad for the sods. I heard that freezing mice live is one of the cruelest ways to kill them cos their tissue breaks down before they are dead so it's apparently ery painful for them. Just what I heard though.
RaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GOOF 1o1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:59 pm

I think what you heard are true
GOOD LUCK
and let us know what you did
GOOF 1o1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:24 pm

Try popping them in a bag and inflating it with a CO2 fire extinguisher. That works like a charm. Wait about 5 minutes before taking them out.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby RaD » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:26 pm

KK. how much do the extinguishers cost? or should i just steal one ;P
RaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:00 pm

Try using one from work. Make sure it is a co2 cylinder though.

It will get serviced from time to time and then it will be full for when you need it.

They are cheaper than buying CO2 gas in a cylinder in any case.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby meester50 » Fri May 05, 2006 10:33 am

Hey GOOF 1o1,

How do you break their necks? One guy told me to hold something round, like a pencil behind its head and press hard down. But I must have done something wrong, because it didn't go that well. And believe me; it was not quick and easy.

Thanks,
The Will of GOD will never take you, where the Grace of GOD will not protect you
meester50
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Natal Black » Fri May 05, 2006 10:41 am

I put the rodent in a empty coffee char and then shake it damn hard , its instant painless death.
Natal Black
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon » Fri May 05, 2006 11:06 am

I use snake venom, very effective
gaboon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake-5 » Fri May 05, 2006 1:38 pm

take it by the tail and swing it on to a object with a corner, try hit its back and this breaks it quickly, its very humane.
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby drummer » Fri May 05, 2006 7:26 pm

put in a plastic shopping bag and smack hard against wall. insant death.

this is quite a disturbing post... i like it.
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Natal Black » Fri May 05, 2006 10:27 pm

yeah i was gonna say man! this thread is funny :)
Natal Black
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes Incorporated » Sat May 06, 2006 12:18 am

Natal Black wrote:I put the rodent in a empty coffee char and then shake it damn hard , its instant painless death.

Nooit broe that’s horrible.

I secure the tail and then rotate the rodent via a quick swing cushioning the head on a hard surface. Twice in quick succession usually does the trick. Yes, occasionally the nose bleeds but I am confident that any suffering experienced is minimized through this method.
Don’t kill it, if you are not planning to eat it.
Snakes Incorporated
This member has been banned

Postby horridus » Sat May 06, 2006 5:13 am

the most humane way according the humane association of america is CO2, and most of us dont have access to CO2, unless you can get dry ice. If you do, pop a chunk of dry ice in a bucket and leave for 10 minutes or so with a lid on, then take the mice and pop them in. Its takes a few minutes but the CO2 wont escape because it is heavier than air, but i leave the lid on anyway.

The second, and the way i use is cervical dislocation. It is not as humane as the CO2 but it is qucik and painless if done properly. You place the mouse on a flat surface, take a pencil,pen or just forceps and place it behind the mouses head and pull on the tail. You need enough pressure behind the head that it does not slip under the instrument. This works 90% of teh times, the other you will have to repeat as you sometimes dont dislocate the cervical area but rather the lumbar or thoracic areas... As you do it more, you will get better and better. It does not work on pinks or large rats.

Last is a system used here in the states to do large amounts of euthanasia in a day. You get two buckets that fit into each other. You put spinge in the bottom bucket so you dont crush the mice.You then put about 30-40 mice in the bucket, then take the second bucket and push it down on the first bucket really hard. This kills all the mice instantly and is also pretty humane. This is used by some of the guys that do frozen mice out here in California.

All these work as well as braining, throwing, stompimg etc. My way of judging is if the creature is dead within a second, there is no time for stress/pain/discomfort and i am happy.

good luck

let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor

cheers don
horridus
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Reptile cuisine