Food for my Herald

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Food for my Herald

Postby Viper101 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:17 pm

what else do they eat except frogs and tadpoles? i'm struggling to find smaller size frogs for my herald.
Most people erroneously call a snake the Puff Adder, Night Adder, or Blowing Viper, So, naturally they will kill it....
Viper101
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Food for my Herald

Postby Ales » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:49 pm

Geckos,the normal Transvaal thick toes geckos are what i give mine.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper101 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:59 am

Geckos, hard to catch, thanks for the tip.
Most people erroneously call a snake the Puff Adder, Night Adder, or Blowing Viper, So, naturally they will kill it....
Viper101
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Van2 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:04 am

You don't mention your location, but getting food for them especially if you are in Gauteng, can become a big problem.

Rather release the snake and keep something that you can feed rodents that's much more readily available.
Van2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper101 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:07 am

frogs are becoming available after the huge amount of rains we had, I'm gonna collect a bunch of tadpoles as well and bring them up. I'm from Secunda, theres a lot of green strokes and small rivers / dams where one can catch frogs. Only becomes problem in winter, Secunda cold in winter, like Springs / Benoni and then food is scares.

I've had a Herald snakes for years back in the 90's which escaped later on because of naughty children. Also a Brown water snake, very similar to Herald, less aggressive but has same appetite.
Viper101
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:16 am

Growing up tadpoles is a LONG WAIT.

Heralds naturally feed on frogs and toads, they will take geckos though. If you cant supply food for the snake you should rather let it go where you found it. Not to mention it is not legal to catch and keep wild snakes.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Viper101 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:58 pm

people kills snakes around here cause they don't know better, so if you ask me the snake is much better off with me looking after it etc...I've got tadpoles thats 2 weeks from frogs, only the tails must go and I catch the common "Skurwe Padda " which they happen to love...I originally just wanted to know what else does Heralds eat...I've heard that some people claims ~they eat mice.
Viper101
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:20 pm

They can take scented pinkies and some ( a few) will just take unscented pinks.
I realize you have good intentions but bare in mind without a permit technically it is illegal.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Viper101 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:39 pm

thanks for the advice.
Viper101
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper101 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:43 am

Got the snake since 2010, frogs much more available now, found nice spots around town for grass frogs(common long leg river frogs) they have large tadpoles and after back legs appear it only takes a couple of weeks become full frog. lots of raucous toads also available and sand frogs.

I get food throughout the year, except between May and August, the snake is very inactive at that time and will occasionally take a spade food (platanna )

thanks
Viper101
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile cuisine