rodent water feeders

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Re: rodent water feeders

Postby Seaborne » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:19 pm

The type i use don't work on a spring. They work on the return pressure that the water has on it. when the mice drinks it moves the valve and will dispense the water. You can also adjust the amount of water you want flowing out.
Edward Seaborne
BBM Pin:25A1796F
Cell: 083 230 6736
info@nicemicefeeders.co.za

“Where service and product exceeds expectations”
Bearded Dragon 1.0
Ball Python 1.1
Cal King 0.1
Seaborne
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:15 pm

That sounds kinda excellent. I hope you do a proper picture demonstration.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hoss » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:18 pm

Ah sounds like your using the valves off of road bicycle tubes? Am I right? You can screw the valves in and out there by adjusting the amount of water flow. I'm starting to picture how this works.

I cycled competitively for about 10 years, you'd think I'd think of this idea :D
Hoss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Does adjusting the flow also change how sensitive the valve pin will be ?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Hoss wrote:Seaborne, I know you're working with mice, but do you think your idea will work with rats (considering that they chew through things a little more aggressively than mice)?

Hoss, I work with rats and not multi's because they don't chew the stuff as aggressively as those multi's from Seaborne, I just buy his pinks for my small snakes as the rat pups are too big, I've seen those things and I much rather work with the rats.

Ever heard of Biker mice from Mars?? Well Seaborne is breeding BITING MICE FROM HELL!!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Seaborne » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:54 pm

O come on now. They not that bad. I much rather work with my Multi's than those evil looking Red Eye Rats . Those just freak me out. Anyways. Feedback. Of the 4 valves I used one type is totally unsuitable. The other valve had a small bend in the thread part. Those both leaked. The other two are working like a dream and I am sure my system will work.

Hoss - Yes I am using the type of the road bike and as a "cyclist" myself I saw the potential.
it_bit_me - You can adjust the flow with this valve. You can tighten them and this does not limit the water, but it seems to limit the time the water will be dispensed and the rate of flow.

I will post some pictures one I am satisfied it actually works.
Edward Seaborne

Bearded Dragon 1.0
Ball Python 1.1
Cal King 0.1
Seaborne
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Seaborne » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Some long awaited feedback. I tested various "bicycle" valves and all have failed. I did many modifications to the valves to try and stop the constant dripping. I have now given up on what I thought was a good idea as a lost cause.

However there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I found a supplier of water nipples.

Those are the types they supply. the cost of this is R8.17 (not sure about the VAT).

Spartan Poultry Equipment Head Office
62 Summit Road
Blue Hills
Halfwayhouse
Midrand
Office Number +27 11 318 2239

Spartan Pietermaritzburg
Office Number (033) 387 6233

Spartan Cape Town
Tel Number (011) 318 2239

I really hope this helps you all. I am going to get myself a few to test them out once they reopen in 2012. I will then post a full report and pictures on the system.
Edward Seaborne

Bearded Dragon 1.0
Ball Python 1.1
Cal King 0.1
Seaborne
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scales » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:21 pm

hi seaborn, damn this is good news. I stopped breeding mice as the watering was killing me. will get some of those systems and get cracking in the new year, thanks for the info
scales
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Reptile cuisine