Multimammate Mice As Feeders.

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Multimammate Mice As Feeders.

Postby Fooble » Sun May 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Just after some clarification in the specified title.

I've been breeding normal mice for a good amount of time and just recently started with a few Multimammate Mice.
Now the question i pose after reading some conflicting reports how are they as base feeders?
I have read some snakes like Ball Pythons will feed on them then refuse rats or normal mice and only want to feed on Multimammate Mice, is there anyone who has had any experience with using them as a staple feeding source?

In reality id prefer to breed a lot of these are they of course grow larger then mice and larger litters ect.

Would appreciate any insight.

Tyrone.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Multimammate Mice As Feeders.

Postby slangman » Sun May 08, 2011 10:43 pm

yes some royals become 'hooked' on them . i use them as a base food for all my royals and only about half of them feed exculsively on them . The other half take mice and rats just as readily as multies . Royals are just weird and some will feed on multies then all of a sudden take a rat and then go back to multies . My african snakes and other coloubrids , rainbow boas included , will not touch multies and hence i breed them exclusively for my royals . Hope that helps .
cheers
nik
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GCol » Mon May 09, 2011 7:38 am

I breed multi's as well as mice and rats. The multi's are fed to my cobra's, mole snakes, smaller pythons and boa's and my bigger house snakes. These snakes all eat normal mice and rats as well. Hope this helps Fooble.

Cheers
Gareth Coleman
GCol
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon May 09, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks Nik that's some good insight.
I've been using the "pinks" if you can call them that from the multies with allot of my smaller snakes and they seem to okay feeding on them then mice ect.

Thanks Gcol!
I was just apprehensive at first staring with my Ball pythons on them , although the others have been fine on then then again going back and forth to normal mice.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Mon May 09, 2011 8:28 am

I have an adult pair of Jungle Carpet Pythons that never wanted to touch rats, so I only fed them mice. I was told that snakes that won't eat rats will be converted easier when fed on Multies, so I started feeding Multies as these are also bigger than mice.
Now these 2 snakes won't touch rats or mice and only eat Multies. I struggled to find Multies for quite some time a while back and these snakes still did not eat mice even after more than a month of not getting Multies. As soon as I got Multies again they smashed them so they were hungry.

I have given Multies to some of my other snakes, including other Jungle Carpet Pythons and these snakes would happily eat the Multies and then the next week eat rats again, so it is very much individual snakes and not all.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby nvlooi » Mon May 09, 2011 8:57 am

How much bigger are they and there pinkies to normal lab mice and pinkies?

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon May 09, 2011 9:29 am

nvlooi wrote:How much bigger are they and there pinkies to normal lab mice and pinkies?

H

I would conservatively say perhaps 0.5 -1 Times the size of new born mice. Multimammate pinks are actually born with some hair already.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Seaborne » Mon May 09, 2011 9:44 am

I guess I can give a little insight on this subject.

I have started my breeding project with just Multi's. I have spoken to quite a few people and I have found conflicting opinions.

Now the thing that I heard the most was that some snakes eat "normal" mice only and wont ever touch rats and visa versa. The Multi's are the in between food according to a number of snake breeders. It is easier to get a "normal" mice snake onto rats if they eat multi's and the other way around also.

The one thing people must keep in mind about multi's are that they are larger. Therefore you need less multi's to feed a snake who normally eats "normal" mice.
Size wise I would say a hopper multi is about the size of a normal adult.

I personally don't think I would sell Pinky Multi's as this would not be worth my while unless I have an overstock situation.

I am however not a snake breeder/owner, but I guess if your snake likes one kind of rodent he will stick to that. If you also only ever feed him one kind he will become accustomed to that taste and not try other foods. I know my Bearded dragon prefers worms over crickets. This however doesn't mean that I never feed him the crickets.

I have supplied Mitton with hopper(Medium) sized Multi's and his snakes just loved them. I am currently expanding and should be able to give more feedback on how other breeders/user find multi's.
Edward Seaborne
BBM Pin:25A1796F
Cell: 083 230 6736
info@nicemicefeeders.co.za

“Where service and product exceeds expectations”
Bearded Dragon 1.0
Ball Python 1.1
Cal King 0.1
Seaborne
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Mon May 09, 2011 2:21 pm

I have been doing the Multi thing for some time now...I have 36 breeding cages with Multies and only 2 with normal mice.

Multies in my opinion are better feeders than normal mice...All my snakes take them and normal mice without any troubles except for one A.l.lubricus and a Bamboo racer.

What makes them nice is the fact that they are not expensive and 2 adults are just as much if not more than feeding one rat.

p.s I know most people dont but really DONT put a live one in with a snake !

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LAMB Pythons » Mon May 09, 2011 6:02 pm

Sorry for hijacking. But what is the size difference between Multies and Rats (Adult)?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527 (Feel free to join my FB page)
Neels Van der Merwe, and these are my snakes I keep.
11.13.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
0.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Corn snake)
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Multies are smaller than rats.

I feed them from time to time when I get them. I usually feed them off and defrost possibly 50 or 80 at a time so whoever needs small rats or big mice that week gets multies. I have never had any snake not switch back to rats or mice the following week. Possibly this is because I feed mainly African snakes when I have multies.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Chucky » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Has anyone have an idea where to obtain these mice?
Chucky
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile cuisine