Rodents in Jhb/Roodepoort

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Rodents in Jhb/Roodepoort

Postby JohanR » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Hey Guys

Any 1 know of a good reliable rodent breeder that can supply me with some rodents in Jhb/Roodepoort?

I usually get them from pet shop but only on a Friday. Would like to get some thru the week as well for some of my good eaters.

Cant breed my own, have no space for it.
JohanR
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Rodents in Jhb/Roodepoort

Postby Urucone » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:38 pm

Do what I do with some of my customers, buy your rodents on a friday and pay in advance for monday or tuesday, they will keep it out until then, it's only the pinks that's a little bit of a hassle but let them buy pinks with mothers so the pinks will survive without any problems(they will change in small fuzzy's though).
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 am

Johan switch your snakes to frozen food and this problem goes away. I fed off almost 200 rodents just last night and they were all defrosted. With patience you can convince almost any snake to eat dead food. I have boas (5 species) pythons (6 species) rat snakes, king snakes, house snakes, hognose, coral snakes, shieldnose, cobras, rattlers, boomslang, mambas, rinkhals gaboons, rhino vipers, puffies etc that all take dead defrosted food.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby JohanR » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks for reply guys.

Problem with pet shop is they don't get correct sizes every time. I have been feeding almost 4-6 rat pups to some of my adult Ball Pythons. So its not actually a problem with time but size as well.

Bushviper, I am currently feeding some of my Ball Pythons frozen but I have a few that I have to feed live as this is all they are taking. I have spoken to a few breeders that advised me to start use live on these that's not eating frozen as some just don't eat frozen. Saying this at feeding day I still offer frozen for a few hours before i give the live to them in hoping they might switch to frozen. I am not a fan of the starving method to get them on frozen. Some of them I leave the frozen thru the night but they still don't eat it, tried different sizes, rat/mouse, split head, warmer-colder, rodent with tuna sent, left it in with live mouse to sent up(i know stupid 1 but ran out of ideas :-D), I evan tried different brands of frozen, evan made my own frozen.

Like I said to some breeders assisting me, if I introduce the live withing 2minutes it has been eaten. So cant be my husbandry as they are eating well.
JohanR
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Davidc » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Have you tried Repti Pets?
Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Mojave het Orange Ghost
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic